Running Dedicated server on less than required pc specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYL\X/3K

I know <html>, do you?
I have a game that runs on a certain hardware requirements. I have an old p3 laying around that i can use for dedicated server but it doesn't match the minimum requirements of the game.
my question is: Can i run dedicated server on a pc with less requirements from what the game has given me?

BTW i dont care that its in the wrong thread , im just looking for a quick answer

thnx

It depends on the game. Some games you can download a separate dedicated server file, and don't need to actually install the game.

Most likely it will work. I've run dedicated servers on many PC's and since a server doesn't need to worry about graphics or anything, the requirements for servers are less. As a proof of concept, I once ran a Jedi Academy server on a Pentium 133MHz (appropriately named P3NT1UML4ND) and it ran smaller maps fine, but bigger maps lagged. Using a Celeron 500MHz worked perfectly, but that motherboard fried, so now I'm running my server on my new Sempron 1.8GHz and it runs fine. I also ran the server on my P3-850 laptop over WiFi and it worked fine as well.

Most likely it will work. I've run dedicated servers on many PC's and since a server doesn't need to worry about graphics or anything, the requirements for servers are less. As a proof of concept, I once ran a Jedi Academy server on a Pentium 133MHz (appropriately named P3NT1UML4ND) and it ran smaller maps fine, but bigger maps lagged. Using a Celeron 500MHz worked perfectly, but that motherboard fried, so now I'm running my server on my new Sempron 1.8GHz and it runs fine. I also ran the server on my P3-850 laptop over WiFi and it worked fine as well.

great thnx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom