XP pro 32, 64 or Vista 32 or 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
How much faster is xp 64 than 32? Is vista 64 ready for prime time yet? Will 64 bit make video editing faster? I have some questions on this and if anyone can answer I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

No reason to get xp, thats yesterdays news.

I installed vista ultimate(32 bit) over xp pro last week and its just as fast as xp, ive had absolutly no issues in that time, and with the service pack coming about in the next few months it can only get better.

So i think you should be choosing between vista 32/64 bit

I would not go with a 32bit Version anymore, if you don´t need it why certain programms don´t work with x64.

in a few years in my oppinion x32 will be dead

doesnt 64 bit have more driver issues? (btw i am also trying to decide between vista and xp and 32-bit and 64-bit)

I think I have decided to do a dual boot and keep my xp pro and add vista on my new machine. I have never done it before. What are the recommendations on doing this?

Well first you have to set up a partition. Since it doesnt look like you have a 2 hard drive system. But the partition has to be a primary partition. Vista will not install on anything but a primary partition.

From there just go thru the install. Vista will recognize the XP install and add it to the Vista Bootloader.

This will be on a brand new install. Many hard drives included.
But now for something else I am debating. I really have some important things that I can't lose. I was wondering how many of you feel about raid 1. I know, I know it is not as fast as raid 0, but I have seen in many reports that it is faster in almost everything else than a single drive.
So, what do you think if I get 2 320gb hdd and partition them for xp and vista. I use a raid 1 to make my system a little more fool proof. Then I add two more 500gb hdd and raid those to use for my videos, pics, docs etc.
Right now I have a 500gb external hdd that I use as backup with acronis and I would use that with this new system to add another line of backup.
What would be your ideal system?

If you have stuff that you cant lose why not jsut make a partiton on one of those drives and put the data there? I have a good amount of data i cant lose and i have a 320GB drive that i have partitioned off with all that data on it. That way no matter what happens to my OS's (Currently at 4) i wont lose my data. No RAID involved. Only Problem with RAID if one disc fails it all fails.

No, not in raid 1. It is mirrored in raid 1. If one disc fails I just stick a new one in and the info on the one disc go back on to the new disc. A lot safer to me than just one disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom