AMD Phenom X4 CPU Prices Emerge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said all benchmarks we've seen so far are questionable at best...btw there are no phenoms at 3ghz at the moment...and it was compared to a q6600 downclocked to 2ghz.

We shall see on release...but so far from what we've seen phenom is not going to put any competition up against intel.

what i meant was the HT used was the 2.0, not the 3.0, which was on the RD790 chipset.

i failed to mentioned that n not the actually clocks it was set to in the test. The HT is an onboard memory controller which gives AMD processor's their main horse power in performance that draws from the chipset n RAM.

what i meant was the HT used was the 2.0, not the 3.0, which was on the RD790 chipset.

i failed to mentioned that n not the actually clocks it was set to in the test. The HT is an onboard memory controller which gives AMD processor's their main horse power in performance that draws from the chipset n RAM.
Yes, exactly. Their HyperTransport bus is one of the reasons they were killing Netburst processors.
K10 has their HyperTransport bus increased to between 3.6-4.2GHZ effective speed (from 2000MHZ effective speed)

If you restrict their HyperTransport bus to version 2.0, then lower the RAM speed, then use very loose timings (5-5-7-18-2T), it's going to have an effect.

Not to mention, Agena is capable of running at 3GHZ. AMD has done it before.

I'll be getting an Agena when they come out, and with my watercooling, I'll just see if I can't break 3GHZ.

Yes, exactly. Their HyperTransport bus is one of the reasons they were killing Netburst processors.
K10 has their HyperTransport bus increased to between 3.6-4.2GHZ effective speed (from 2000MHZ effective speed)

If you restrict their HyperTransport bus to version 2.0, then lower the RAM speed, then use very loose timings (5-5-7-18-2T), it's going to have an effect.

Not to mention, Agena is capable of running at 3GHZ. AMD has done it before.

I'll be getting an Agena when they come out, and with my watercooling, I'll just see if I can't break 3GHZ.

Netburst?

which one? The 9700?

off topic, but r u still a moderator?

EDIT:

ahh ur still a moderator, i just didnt see ur sig there, my bad.

i agree. i will be stepping into one from a 3600...a tremendous upgrade for me. its all in perspective!

realize that the enthusiast market is a miniscule part of the users AMD caters
to. Intel can overrun the market with enthusiast chips(which it has)...AMD's not gonna like tank under because of it. they have a large enough share of the server hardware market and low budget desktops to keep churnin em out. things may look bad from the enthusiasts standpoint...but thats about it. i think they sunk A LOT of money into R&D on phenom...and that is going to taper off as the process is perfected. you guys of all people should realize the marvel of technology (in itself...im not talking about benchmarks or which is faster) that these new chips are.
AMD has been bleeding money for a few quarters now. AMD doesn't have half the R&D or manufacturing that Intel has.

I'm well aware that there is more than just an enthusiast market, but just financially they're in a bit of trouble, and it doesn't look like their situation is going to turn out better if they aren't going able to keep up with Intel. How long do you think AMD can last going at the rate they are?

AMD has been bleeding money for a few quarters now. AMD doesn't have half the R&D or manufacturing that Intel has.

I'm well aware that there is more than just an enthusiast market, but just financially they're in a bit of trouble, and it doesn't look like their situation is going to turn out better if they aren't going able to keep up with Intel. How long do you think AMD can last going at the rate they are?
AMD are going to survive. They're going to be competitive for a long time.

One of the big reasons they did start to lose money, is because of the ATI acquisition, which slowed their R&D while the merge was happening.

AMD are going to survive. They're going to be competitive for a long time.

One of the big reasons they did start to lose money, is because of the ATI acquisition, which slowed their R&D while the merge was happening.

I know they aren't going to "die" anytime soon. I could see them being bought, or perhaps moving to more niche markets (like what they're doing with the Geode.) A lot of money has been put into Fusion, and what happens if it doesn't turn out to be a sucess? It'd be ANOTHER bad release for AMD/ATI.

But maybe the three upcoming releases will be more sucessful than I'm assuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom