AMD Phenom X4 CPU Prices Emerge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I seriously wouldn't be surprised to see the prices take a huge dip after about 3-4 weeks once the market is saturated with them. Those initial release prices are not bad at all! Once retailers have to compete, we'll see some excellent prices, and hopefully, once more benchmarks emerge, we'll even see comparable if not better performance to the C2Qs.

My only concern here is that AMD is playing an old card and being overly optimistic. Yes, they benefited when Intel tried to jump on to dual-core quick by merging two single-cores to make the Pentium D and AMD released their true-dual-core Athlon X2s which did in fact perform better, however, this time around, two fused dual cores (C2Qs) might actually pull out here, rather than AMD's true-quad. I know there's much more to what actually determines performance, but AMD's really touting the whole "true quad-core" thing and it's a bit worrisome, for me at least.

that is unless you like green better.
dude. let me explain something to you, about me...to save you some trouble and frustration. i like AMD. as long as AMD puts out a product that is reasonably close to the intel counterpart, i will buy the AMD product. it doesnt matter what benchmark you are furtively looking for at this moment, it doesnt matter what you think. i like AMDs style, i like their innovation, i like their resilience in the face of overwhelming criticism and "this cpu gets 3% better on this benchmark, so you suck" kinda stuff.
just trying to save your trouble. if you are trying to convince me, you are wasting your time.
i like green.

Merkwürdigliebe (or anyone), would you mind explaining why these 2x2 "quads" we are seeing from Intel are to win over the 4x1 quads from AMD?

Wouldnt it be the same situation as the Pentium D 1x1 duals that were beaten by the proper 2x1 duals from AMD that you mentioned?

PS. I wont even be upgrading to my E6550 setup that ive planned till December :/

I was kidding nagasama. My last 2 boxes have been AMD, but when it came time to build a new machine, i just couldnt justify going AMD when intel had such a huge lead in performance.
Also red cars > all.

Merkwürdigliebe (or anyone), would you mind explaining why these 2x2 "quads" we are seeing from Intel are to win over the 4x1 quads from AMD?

Wouldnt it be the same situation as the Pentium D 1x1 duals that were beaten by the proper 2x1 duals from AMD that you mentioned?

PS. I wont even be upgrading to my E6550 setup that ive planned till December :/

Being a true dual core was far from the only reason that the AMD X2 was better than the Pentium D. Everything I've ever heard has said that being true dual or true quad is better but not by a lot.

I was kidding nagasama. My last 2 boxes have been AMD, but when it came time to build a new machine, i just couldnt justify going AMD when intel had such a huge lead in performance.
Also red cars > all.

ahhhh you jokester.
true enough, if i had decided to build a new rig recently i would've maybe chosen the intel quad (probably not lol but thats why i havent built a new machine lol).
i think the AMD quads will be a great step in the right direction for AMD.

my last 4 computers have been AMD and all 5 on my network are AMD.
they have always preformed up to my standards, especially my current one.
the price seems very inviting with the quads, especially with the higher canadian dollar.
if i decide to upgrade, which probably won't be until the end of winter :S it will more than likely be a AMD quad....
i'm just a loyal customer i guess

i agree. i will be stepping into one from a 3600...a tremendous upgrade for me. its all in perspective!

realize that the enthusiast market is a miniscule part of the users AMD caters
to. Intel can overrun the market with enthusiast chips(which it has)...AMD's not gonna like tank under because of it. they have a large enough share of the server hardware market and low budget desktops to keep churnin em out. things may look bad from the enthusiasts standpoint...but thats about it. i think they sunk A LOT of money into R&D on phenom...and that is going to taper off as the process is perfected. you guys of all people should realize the marvel of technology (in itself...im not talking about benchmarks or which is faster) that these new chips are.
i'm sorry nagasama but you ARE an enthusiast, and if intel overruns the enthusiast market.....i'm going to have to use gurusans "frankly quite mad" statement haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom