Built new PC, on 2nd Mobo, still no video display! HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

imconfused

Baseband Member
built a new pc last week, bought a barebones kit from tigerdirect.com. i had a cpu fan problem as well as a display problem before and posted in the building new computers forum...here's the link for details on what went on there (http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/built-new-computer-no-power-help-156840/).
i finally got sick of it and thought since the cpu fan connection wasn't working that maybe parts on the mobo were bad so i called tigerdirect and they shipped me a new mobo which got here today and i have to send out the old one tomorrow but when i connected everything tonight still no display!! it's becoming very frustrating. i've been reading through many different forums about this same problem but nobody seems to have a fix and if they do they didn't post it. also since i can't get a display i get errors but i also have no beep codes or anything of that sort because i am unsure of how to connect the system speaker that came with the case. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

read in a lot of other forums that ram is possibly bad and that should be tested. i took 2 1 GB sticks out of a working pc and tested with my 1 1GB stick and in all tests still had no video display. any ideas yet anybody?

It sounds like you need to switch your vga cable to the onboard plug instead of the PCI plug. Onboard will not work through the PCI slot.

The first I would do is get a good PSU and then test each component in another PC so you can pinpoint the problem.

everything has already been tested, the only thing i'm not sure of is the cpu because i have no other board to test in. i don't even have my pci video card in at all, i've been tryin to use the onboard so i can go into the bios and disable it so i can use my pci card. i get nothing at all with the onboard.

Since you didn't use mounts, you could have damaged the CPU. You can buy an old used celeron for a few dollars on ebay.

Did you connect the 4 pin CPU power connector to the motherboard?

i know i could've damaged it, but as of right now i don't think the cpu is the problem because even without the cpu i should still get a video display shouldn't i? there should be something up on the screen like the bios...am i right?

Onboard video needs the system memory in order to work but I'm not sure if it can work without an operating CPU.

Did you ever get your speaker connected to the motherboard? Thats all you really need to do. If you CPU is dead, it will give you the beep code telling you.

Are you sure all the connections are correct for the front panel?

The speaker should have 4 pins, the positive should be colored (ex. Red) and the ground should be an off color (ex. Black).

i still didn't get the speaker hooked up right, i tried all kinds of combos but still no dice, doesn't really matter at the moment though. i ended up breaking down and called tech support for tigerdirect which in turn directed me to intel's support. they helped me troubleshoot by taking me through everything i've already done of course, but that was expected. i just needed them to say something is definitely wrong with it so i could send it back but they just want to replace the mobo (again) so this will be my 3rd mobo now because they think it's another DOA mobo. the last possible thing is if it's the CPU that's bad which is also what they thought it may be and if the new mobo doesn't work then they said they would replace the CPU and give that a go. also amongst troubleshooting with intel they had me build it out of case, which i had already done, but instead of hooking up the power button they had me hold a screw driver across the power connections to start it up, and when it started smoke came out and it shorted and now it's blown so i had to get another PSU which is on its way now. so needless to say it'll be awhile before my build is done...

Your motherboard may not have sound (looked at the manual).

Which PSU did you get? The one you had before isn't any good.

so i just got my new psu and my 3rd mobo, hooked it all up, system seems to run like a champ...MINUS THE DISPLAY PROBLEM STILL!!! still no display whatsoever! i guess i'll be calling up intel again and they'll walk me through another useless trial and error and then i'll be sending back my CPU to them for a brand spanking new replacement which will hopefully do the trick. if not then i guess the whole **** system will be going back in tigerdirect's face!!!! still, before i send out the CPU tomorrow does anyone have any last minute ideas!?!? thanks again to anyone who responded to my thread at all, i took all views and opinions into account. i'll make sure to let everyone know the final outcome so there will finally be an answer to the no display problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom