cdroms not displayed in windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demalii

Fully Optimized
Hey.. i had this problem months back.. and i think i just unplugged the drives to fix it... but now one of my friends is having the problem.. basically at random times when he starts up windows, the cdroms won't display nor will they work, other times they'll show up and work fine. He's not very computer literate, and i told him not to worry about opening up the case just yet.. has anyone else had this problem?

I've seen it with my DVD although it was not ramdom but constant. The thing was that for some reasons, my driver got corrupted. I removed the drivers from hardware manager and rebooted. Windows then reinstalled the drivers and I haven't had a problem since. When a problem is intermittent, it is sometimes sue to loose connection. Tell your friend to check the IDE cable at both ends (CD and MOBO) and to check the power connection. Does his drive power up even when it is not connected? If not, he might have bad power connection. Tell him to change his power cable for an unused one.

yea i already thought about all that.. like i said, he doesn't know anything about computers.. and he's too scared to open it up, so it rules that possibility out.. but.. if the drives aren't showing up.. they wouldn't show up in the device manager either..

Yes they will show in the device manager. You'll have the exclamation point beside it saying that it has a conflict or it is not working properly. Click on it and select delete then reboot.

try flashing the bios i did this and now my cd rom shows up. but my cd rom only stopped showing up when i installed my cd burner.??? i installed the burner and then the cd drive just stoped showing up.. but a flash of the bios fixed it

ok.. lemme put this another way hehe.. the cdroms show up in the bios, but at random times aren't displayed in windows. When they are not displayed, they will not work. They don't show up in the device manager, because windows basically does not see them, cdrom drivers are loaded on the startup as with other hardware. It's not something that is installed because cdroms can use a basic driver. I've had this exact problem before and I think I messed with the cables and got them working correctly again, either that or I formatted.

My friend knows nothing about computers, so he's aftraid to open the computer up. So other than opening up the case or formatting, has anyone else had this problem and gone about it another way? w00t!

err *shakes his head* that's not the problem =/ I got his friend and told him exactly what to do (inside the case) and it fixed it.. ty anyways

i had the same problem installing pinnacle.the cd drive showed up in bios but not in windows. so i just uninstalled the program and that didnt work.then i just used system restore and that fixed it all up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom