Nvidia Caught Cheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
lol...

Rename the @ to an "a" because this forum seems to autocensor it...and Just keep refreshing as sometimes link doesn't work

http://www.eliteb@stards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=487&Itemid=29

But, there you have it - While renaming the Crysis single-player demo executable fixes the image quality issues with all of NVIDIA's ForceWare 169.0x drivers, it also reduces performance by around 7% on average. It's worth noting that these issues are also experienced in-game, rather than simply in the game's timedemo mode, although due to the slower camera movement of the player walking around rather than the fly-by used when benchmarking, it is normally far less noticeable.

Just keep refreshing as sometimes link doesn't work

wait.. a high-end corp. cutting corners to make even more money?! no way! lol...

still kinda ****es me off though- if its 100% fact indeed.

cutting corners?

They crippled the image quality in Crysis to favor the 8800GT (not that it still isn't the best card for the money)

What you call "cheating", nvidia calls "optimization". Manufacturers do it all the time. That's why you should never solely rely on standard benchmarks over real-world tests. Since the beginning, FutureMark and others have had to try to develop countermeasures so as to defeat application detection by the graphics drivers. I remember back in 2003, FutureMark released an update for 3DMark2003 that featured a refreshing of such countermeasures only, and both ATi and nVidia scores dropped simply as a result of the cheating countermeasures being implemented, catching them both red-handed.

If we listed everyone that has ever cheated on benchmarks, I'm pretty sure you would have a fairly exhaustive list of hardware manufacturers. Everyone does it. When they are caught, they fix what was uncovered and wait until the next benchmark they can take advantage of. It's a very 'unethical' practice, but it's just part of the business. Lie and cheat whenever possible to make your products look good.

What's so funny is when a manufacturer (who also has a history of cheating) uncovers their competitions cheating, they make a big fuss about it (all the while, trying to find new ways to exploit benchmarks for positive scores in their favor). AMD/ATi is screaming "cheating", pointing to nVidia now, and look at their history. It's almost as if they are jealous simply because they didn't think of that way to deceive their customers.

But if you think about it, they have a lot more to gain over optimizing their drivers solely for better benchmark scores. It's not just about consumers swelling their fanboy pride. Many OEMs rely on these scores to try to determine what consumers want. If nVidia or ATi can cheat a little here and there, making their scores higher, which in turn results in a big deal with an OEM, then that was a pretty successful investment of their time, and worth the risk of exposure.

So yeah, I'm not all that shocked. It's funny to see the drama and commotion cheating causes, but consumers still rely on those scores almost exclusively to try to determine which product is better. And that's just as humorous.

funny thing is i could care less on benchmark scores to pick my purchases- sure I look at them- but when possible I go view games played with each card- just to know what Iam really seeing. I also try to do it only on CRT or same delay LCD of similar sizes, just so I don't see ghosting or artifacting or something and get a worse "first impression".

Everyone should rely on benchmark (numbers) more, look more into the stats, and see just what it can do- instead of predictions of what it could do...

You guys act like this only happens in the computing industry. Look at vehicle manufacterers. They skew the numbers more horendously than any other industry around.

Lieing for corporate gain? LMAO happens ALL the time!! coputers, automobiles, college, wal-mart... EVERYONE lies to make their product or services look better. it's our job as consumers to know the difference. unfortunately, 75% of americans go solely off these amazing benchmarks, then when something like this comes out, they believe this over that... the american consumer is finicky, and as such, developers must come up with a way to draw them into their folds. it's business, shoot, it's EVERYTHING dealing with money!! *the american gov to give an example*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom