140mm fans & fan controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
So I just picked up a CM 690 case. It has 4 locations for 140mm fans and was wondering if it would be worth it to get them?

Also, wanted to know any suggestions on fan controllers, preferable one that can turn the fan from 0% to 100% and that can control up to 7 fans.

Fan controllers are ok, I have a Zalman ZM-MFC2, which is very nice, but you may find you don't really use them. Mine has 4 slots, but can support dual fans on one input (although only one splitter cable is included). The thing you have to worry about is overloading the fan controller. I've heard reviews of the Scythe Kama, overheating and being a fire hazard when overloaded, for instance.

The other problem is that you'll have difficulties with power saving modes (standby), as the fan controller works independently to the mobo.

As for my controller in particular, you might find it annoying if you want to be adjusting the speeds a lot, as you press buttons, and adjust a floating dial, so something more 'mechanical' might be to your tastes (such as the mfc1). I just like mine as it has thermocouples and a power meter.

The question is, do you really need them? Four 140mm fans will be pushing a lot of air and a lot of decibels, not to mention price. Four 140mm's at newegg will cost about $55. I had 3 fans in my PC and added a pair of 120mm fans, and I really didn't notice much difference in temperature. The only thing I noticed was that it was a lot louder. I wouldn't buy more than two 120mm fans unless you're noticing especially high temperatures.

Yeah, I agree with this. I think there is generally an obsession for too many fans. Particularly fans that pull in series (e.g. one on either side of the HD bay), which are a complete waste of time. Because cooling air is generally warm, the added gain for more massflow is minimal, and it is much more beneficial using cooled fluid, by cooling the air (not really practical, unless you like large air-con bills and sitting in 12 jumpers and gloves). Otherwise, you can improve the properties of the coolant, by using liquid cooling, or do both at once, using a refrigeration cycle (super-impractical to set up).

Where are the fans mounted on this case? You may find that they are just not in a useful position. That, and with 2 fan controllers, you will either be twiddling knobs every 2 seconds, or you will spend loads on knobs that you can never be bothered to twiddle.

The question is, do you really need them? Four 140mm fans will be pushing a lot of air and a lot of decibels, not to mention price. Four 140mm's at newegg will cost about $55. I had 3 fans in my PC and added a pair of 120mm fans, and I really didn't notice much difference in temperature. The only thing I noticed was that it was a lot louder. I wouldn't buy more than two 120mm fans unless you're noticing especially high temperatures.
um bigger fans = less decibals....
and i would just add 2 pair (total 4) of some cheap 120mm for like $25
its not worth $40 of 140mm fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom