Win Vista Ultimate: "You do not have permission to delete that"

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
Heres another problem / question that bugs me:

I did a "clean install" on the Windows Vista Ultimate from my old WinXP Pro OS but the files are still there left untouched. I only have 20 gb free space now. I deleted most of the files but when it comes to deleting the Windows folder (the old one) and Documents and Setting folder it says that I do not have permission to do that.

I downloaded Unlocker and it still won't let me delete certain folders. I need help!

Did you format the drive when you did your isntall? I can bet that you didnt. Just by what you said you did not look at the drive options and click the format button. So therefor you only installed Vista on top of you XP isntall. That is why your files are still there.

In order to delete them you have to take ownership of them. Right click on the folder>security and continue on. I am in XP right now so i can not give you the full path. I know i have posted it in several topics like this. If you use the search function you should find a couple and use those instructions to delte those files.

Yep, your running 2 partions...

And that is bad because?

Did you format the drive when you did your isntall? I can bet that you didnt. Just by what you said you did not look at the drive options and click the format button. So therefor you only installed Vista on top of you XP isntall. That is why your files are still there.

In order to delete them you have to take ownership of them. Right click on the folder>security and continue on. I am in XP right now so i can not give you the full path. I know i have posted it in several topics like this. If you use the search function you should find a couple and use those instructions to delte those files.

Nope I didn't. I didn't see the formatting option, but most likely I missed it. I tried what you instructed me to do but I am still not able to delete the files.

oh. when i installed vista it had a screen in the intall process dedicated to formatting your drive o_O you mighta just went by without lookin. Try installing it again and pay attention to the screen that shows a format dirive button?

If you still cant delete the files then the only thing i can suggest is to format and install. When you go thru the install at this screen:

009Large_thumb_thumb.jpg

Take a look at where the mouse is. Click that there and you will see the format options come up. There you can format the drive and do a real fresh install.

What are the sizes? Partition 1 should be the current partition that it is installed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom