IBM Intellistation M Pro 6889

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liberal

Solid State Member
Alright. Seeing as how I am a nooB to this forum, I don't expect alot of responses. I recently came under the ownership of an IBM Intellistation M Pro dual P2 400 MHz machine. I am trying to figure out if I can get rid of the P2's and throw in some P3's around 933 or a 1 GHz. Now, normally, I would think that the chipset would limit this and make it not possible. However, after doing a little research, I saw someone make a post on this forum (Overclocking) saying that the board MIGHT support these faster CPUs. I have been scouring the Internet and burning up bandwidth at Google. I am coming up short. Does anyone have experience with these towers? I am looking to throw WinSrv2K3 Standard on it. Attempting to begin the long road to the MCSE considering my limited experience with ANY server OS. Can this machine handle that OS? I am going to put in 1024 MBs of PC 133 RAM that should clock down to 100 MHz just fine. Please let me know guys (and ladys)!! Thanks!

Will my setup run Win2K3 srv standard alright? I don't want a slow machine seeing as how I will be having people storing their data on there.

If you had dual P3's rated at 1 gig each, and threw a buttload of memory at it, you should be fine.

Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to go higher than dual P3s at 550. However, they might be Xeons which is good. Anyone else have thoughts?

I also have an intellistation m pro 6889, and i can tell you for shure: this computer is upgradable to dual intel pIII @ 600 Mhz,
[check your bios version and see if it can update the cpu, if you have the original bios you will get a post error message like this:"176 [or what ever] no cpu bios update",if you have this, then you must download the flash bios utility from:http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=JBAR-3UQJR3.
it will work without the update but it will run your cpu under-clocked:confused:
You can try an SEC to PGA adapter for pentium III E models up to 1200 mhz but it will work only with one cpu, and it is better to have 2 cpu's @600 then 1 cpu @1200:)

about the workstation:I have'it from a second hand computer shop bought'it very cheap[about 150$]only one cpu@450+9.1 gb ibm ultrastar lvd uw 160 hdd , recently I spent some money on two pIII@500 Mhz, one 120 gb wdc caviar se + some extra 256 mb of memory ,after all this there is no program or game that won't run on this multimedia monster

9600 pro on P3 motherboard

initialy I was going for the Asus
» A9600SE/TD/P/128M - Radeon 9600, Agp 8X/4X/2X, ATi Radeon 9600, 128Mb DDR SDRAM (64bit), 325, 400, but that "(64bit)" was not an option, so I asked for something better,that thing vas the Gigabyte
» GV-R96P128DH - Radeon 9600 Pro, AGP 8X/4X, Radeon 9600 Pro, 128Mb DDR SDRAM (128 bit), DirectX 9.0/ OpenGL 1.4, SMARTSHADER 2.1/ SMOOTHVISION 2.1/ FULLSTREAM. Next thing to do:went back home, got my comp,return to the shop & checked for compatibility,-it was -:amazed: :D. Further more, the Omega drivers allowed me to lower the agp spd to 1X:amazed:

intellistation front fans

can you please look at your intellistation and see the direction of the two front fans, in my computer the fans are pushing air from the case out, and I think that is not normal since the rear fans are also pushing air out.:amazed:

Hey MicroBell, Where did you find the spec's for the m pro? I have a Z Pro 6865-25u with dual intel 450's which I've been looking for the spec's to see if intel dual P3 733Mhz will work. also have a noob ?. When it says dual 450mhz does it mean it's a 900mhz total or just 450mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom