HDD Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xecutioner88

Beta member
Hello, ive been experiencing a problem with my Seagate 300gb SATA HDD. when the computer boots everything runs fine, the mobo recognizes the HDD. i installed windows vista and everything was going fine for about 3 days, after when i turn on my pc i keep getting the error message "Missing operative system". i tried repairing Vista from the DVD, but after i am on the repair screen no windows appears, and my hard drive is empty and not formatted.

I have tried HDTune to see if any partitions of the HDD were damaged, but everything runs out OK. Also i couldnt help but noticing that when i run the HDTune no temperature on the HDD is displayed/

Can Someone please help me!. this is urgent :(. Thanks in advance!

Maybe the Master Boot Record (MBR) got damaged, thus not being able to see any info on the drive and not able to find the operating system.

Check to see if S.M.A.R.T is turned for the hard drive...not sure if this matters or not for temp. readings.

Since you only installed the OS 3 days ago, format the drive and install a fresh copy of windows onto it.

If your hard drive is new, just return it if you have concerns on it.

i have reinstalled windows about 4 times, and the HDD format happens randomly (not every time i reset or turn on my pc). the HDD is brand new. and i cant afford buying another one right now. Please help. its really important for me...

if you have any ideas of what this might be and can help me out, please do... i will deeply appreciate it... Thanks in advance

If your hdd is new, try exchanging it for another one.

Check for loose wires.
Check for memory errors.

oh well... checked for everything and the HDD didnt have any damaged partitions, i guess ill have to buy a new one, since i cant exchange... Thanks anyways!

Oh and, is there any chance that the mobo may be damaged? because i installed 1gb of some RAM ive been using for around 7 months, and one of them stopped working..

try the RAM and HDD on another system, a friends perhaps, and see if they work.

if you can't do that you may want to buy an external HDD kit for your sata- so you can plug into a friends or public computer to see if it reads the HDD and info on it that way. Kits run from 12-20 dollars normally- cheaper then buying a new HDD for sure- and if it IS the HDD_ you can always turn another HDD into an external usb2.0 (very handy to have for backups, saves CD's and cheaper then buying 5 Jump Drives) Just make sure you get one that has the SATA rig inside and connects to an USB 2.0 port, or firewire if you have a computer that has one (or know where one is)

If your RAM and HDD work on other computers- it might very well be your Motherboard.

Speaking of motherboards- did you mess with yours any? and how much ram did you have after you installed 1GB? are you on vista 32 bit? (It only reads 3Gb ram I think- so if you added a 4th gig- it won't read it- no OS 32 bit will currently)

Also if no Temps are reading- then you probably don't have the sensor plugged in- or plugged in properly- refer back to your Motherboards manual and look up where its supposed to go- make sure you get everything plugged in the right places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom