DSL with bad download speeds?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingtag1445

Solid State Member
I have very nice DSL in my house and I am the main user. I have a wireless router but I myself am wired. It used to be that at night from, around 7:00PM - 1 AM PST I would get horrible lag and slower than dial-up speeds. I was fine with that, i just had to deal with it. Now it seems that during the day connection speeds are getting worse as well. It is the middle of the day, usually a great time for me and I'm peaking at 27 Kb/s download. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Is it all my ISPs fault (I have a horrible ISP) or can i do something?

Here is the only problem with that thought. #1. I live in a community where everyone here can EASILY afford their own internet, and the technical prowess around me is almost laughable. #2. I have a firewall and 2 WEP keys protecting the Wireless. #3. The only person who is ever on the wireless when i check it is my mom.

Sadly yes, which makes me think it is a hardware issue and makes me a sad panda. I built this computer and it was amazing... but it has been a little beat up.
Edit: Well... actually my mom has never had fast internet from the wireless but i just blamed it on it being wireless... Her speed hasn't changed though.

Hmmm... sorta stumped. Since it is your rig only, we can't blame the ISP.

Has anything been changed? Like updates, software installed or removed? Have you tried updating your ethernet drivers to see if that fixes it? Have you tried restoring it to an earlier time?

No new software, I think im up to date on drivers but ill go check. How in the world would i restore my router to an earlier time? Or did you mean computer, in which case i tried that already.
Edit: Yeah im up to date on drivers.

NEW INFO: Hopefully this can help narrow the problem down. Games like WoW, CSS, HL2 and things that connect to the internet dont lag at all, they have AMAZING latencies.... It just seems to be browsing the internet that gives me issues.

Hrm, initially, I was suspecting a trunk within the ISP being congested (fairly common). But, since it is only your rig, and games seem to work ok, I would suggest trying to install a different browser, and see if that makes any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom