How si this memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
128MB Graphics card and 1GB RAM if you can, don't waste money, check you settings.

Example:

If you have Athlon <XP3200+ 333 FSB then you should only get DDR333 (PC2700) if you don't plan on upgrading to Athlon 64-bit any time soon.

Athlon XP3200+ 400FSB = DDR400 (PC3200)

If you do plan on upgrading to Athlon 64-bit within 12 months then I would suggest getting the fastest memory you can, as the FSB speed is 1600MHz, anything near PC12800 would be nice :D

Think the fastest available is PC5300 from Corsair.

Kangaroo said:
128MB Graphics card and 1GB RAM if you can, don't waste money, check you settings.

Example:

If you have Athlon <XP3200+ 333 FSB then you should only get DDR333 (PC2700) if you don't plan on upgrading to Athlon 64-bit any time soon.

Athlon XP3200+ 400FSB = DDR400 (PC3200)

If you do plan on upgrading to Athlon 64-bit within 12 months then I would suggest getting the fastest memory you can, as the FSB speed is 1600MHz, anything near PC12800 would be nice :D

Think the fastest available is PC5300 from Corsair.

Well later on I could always sell the meomory on ebay and processor and get the 64 bit and faster memory... I would get 64 bit right now, but I guess its not worth it yet and you cant use dual channel I think unless it is 3500+. if 400fsb= ddr400(pc3200) then what does 1600 fsb =? Now about the case... I don't want to spend too much on it, but I want some that is not too loud, has lights and cools good. I was thinking about getting this one http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?DEPA=0 because all I would need to buy is the power supply. Is there a case you guys would recommend over this? And what else would I need to buy with it? Also how necessary is the fan controller? Because if the case doesn't come with it I will have to buy it seperatly if it is worth it and I don't want it to be more expensive then the thermaltake plus power supply. Thanks!

can anyone answer my questions? Please? I need to know before I just buy something:)

Newer games like FarCry do take advantage of 256 M video cards and 1 G of RAM on highest display settings, although it still worked fine on my 9800 PRO 128 (slowest frame rate was in the high 20's at 1280 X 1024 with all bells and whistles, but was in the 40's most of the time). Doom 3 and HL 2 might also take advantage of these for their higher settings but I still wouldn't buy a 256 now unless it was the X800.

MicroBell said:
The nforce series boards based on the nvidia chipset are very picky about the type/make and quality of ram used on them. I've seen many many posts about the Kingston (Value) ram causeing many issues like random shutdowns, failed boots, unstable system...ect on nforce boards regardless of who the manufacture is.

Basicly on these boards (I have one) cheap ram=stability issues so you need quality ram. Kingston value ram...is not it. There HyperX though...works well as it's timings are tighter. I would also suggest a 400watt PSU or better for any nforce board running an AMD XP cpu...as these boards are power hungry.

Right now.....no game uses the full 128MB...but that could change later. Doom3 may be close...but I can't remember the minimum system requirments (think it was 128MB)..but I'm not sure. Halflife2 won't be that high.

OH! Thats why I had problems with my A7N8X Deluxe m/b and my Kingston 512 Value Ram. I kept on getting blue screens of death, even during XP Install! But then i played in the bios with the ram timer settings and the problem is fixed now.

Well if it was me buying the system I usually go for the most advanced motherboard to start with and then if I don't have the money (which is usually :)) I buy the slowest of everything, giving me the option to upgrade later.

You would stand more chance selling a Athlon 64-bit 3000+ than a Athlon XP3200+, they are about the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom