Computer Dieing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuaz

In Runtime
Ok, this is going be a tad of a strange question...

I have attached a zip file of the DXDIAG details (I wanted to upload a txt file, but forum limited me)

The problem i have, is that certain things seem to be taking my computer a long time to complete. It has now got to a certain point where things take so long i can go make a cup of coffee ;)

For example, loading web-pages are taking forever. Its not the speed of my connection, but it seems to be the point when it has to show it on the screen if that makes sense? Also, mimumising windows will cause it to freeze for periods of time.

I don't think i have a virus or spy ware ( i have AVG and Zone alarm running, as well as scans via Spy Doctor)

I am getting little bits of FPS flutter in games i play as well (World of Warcraft for example).

I don't have the best computer out there, but equally i don't think its make up is that bad?!

One thing that has made me think though...is it the Hard drive? I have two IDE hard-drives connected, one which holds operating system and programs. The other which holds my data.

They are oldish drives, would i see big improvements if i switched to Sata drives?

My graphics card is currently hooked up to two monitors (20" and 19"), so maybe the card cant keep up, though sometimes its just the loading of the programs which take time.

Have i got a hardware confliction?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post :(

Attachments

• DxDiag.zip
    8.8 KB · Views: 4
Well, for example, me just playing World of Warcraft uses 31% of the processor power and with 44 processes running (information got from Windows Task Manager)

From looking at your system specs, it is decent...it doesn't look like anything is taking up your cpu speed. 2Gb of ram is more than enough.

Have you tried just having 1 monitor connected to see if the problem occurs.

Did you overclock your computer?

From looking at your system specs, it is decent...it doesn't look like anything is taking up your cpu speed. 2Gb of ram is more than enough.

Have you tried just having 1 monitor connected to see if the problem occurs.

Did you overclock your computer?

Yeah, i have tried having just my 20" one attached (Its the better on of the two) and i still get the issue.

No haven't overclocked this rig, mainly because the last time i did that with a machine i ended up with a burnt out graphics card lol

I don't really know why your system is like that...I can only provide you with things you can try or check. Also did you always have this problem to begin with, but only now it got even worst?

-Is your video card getting enough power?
-Try defragging your hard drive.
-See if anything is over heating
-Install new drivers
-Try disabling all your running programs to the bare minimum and see if any of those are causing the problem.

How can i tell if its getting enough power?

Will try the deragging idea

Temperatures
Motherboard 41 °C (106 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 55 °C (131 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 51 °C (124 °F)
Aux 50 °C (122 °F)
GPU 52 °C (126 °F)
Maxtor 6B160P0 29 °C (84 °F)
Maxtor 6Y080L0 28 °C (82 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 3245 RPM

I don't think anything is unusual there.

I have also tried this in Safe mode, and i still get the same issues, which makes me think its hardware related.

What's your power supply and did you connect the extra external power plug to the video card?

500w Power Supply.

Yeah i did connect the extra cable - it wouldn't of worked, if my memory serves me well, if i hadnt connected that cable.

Did defragmentation help at all?
Have you messed with your page file?
Do you have another IDE cable to connect your HDD with- to see if maybe the IDE cable has become over used/burned?
Does your HDD support S.M.A.R.T? (if so is it enabled?)

uhh.. lets open that log and read your rig now... your rigs better then mine (no surprise there)

Try other programs, you said you use Adaware, thats good, try spybot search and destroy, Hijack this and the like, you may have some hidden files.

moosoft.com has a free trojan scanner- although unlikely it is that- never too safe. The Cleaner is pretty decent but runs rather slow.

I can't think of more.. doesn't sound like its your video card or ram or cpu really.

If you don't have an extra IDE- try unplugging your CD/Rom's (if it uses one) and using it to connect your HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom