RAID without floppy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhgunit

Daemon Poster
Can we do this yet? I haven't messed with RAID in a while because I have had bad experiences trying to get it to work.....once its working though its fine.

And the problem is usually getting a floppy drive to work. I set one up in June and went through 2 floppy drives before I found one that wasn't DOA.

Basically, it there some other solution than floppy? I hate ordering, installing, and having extra cables for something that I use only once.

ooo I just learned how to do this :)

You can use nlite to burn your own windows boot disk and add the drivers to the windows cd so you literally only need to put your own burned cd in and the install is completely automated as you can add your current windows profile to the nlite disk :D plus take off any programs that are annoying in windows or add your own programs so that when you first boot you already have (what I included on mine Firefox, Itunes and Avg antivirus)

dowload the mass storage driver pack for raid plus any others you want
DriverPacks.net > DriverPacks > Intro

use this to create the drivepackage for nlite
DriverPacks.net > DriverPacks > DriverPacks BASE

Then use nlite to bring everything together and burn the new windows disk on a blank dvd
nLite - Deployment Tool for the bootable Unattended Windows installation

p.s. your windows disk is not damaged in this as nlite merely copies the files off of the disk onto your computer then you take the original windows disk out :D

I thought newer boards had the raid driver installed on the Mother board chipset CD's?

I thought newer boards had the raid driver installed on the Mother board chipset CD's?

They do. But that is usually just so you can make a floppy disk.

How are you going to load RAID files when you have the Windows CD in?

heh, magic? So how would this work? if you want to instal windows on a RAID array do you install windows first, then enable RAID, or do you need to enable RAID first, then install windows? ugh should have looked into this before ordering my parts, didnt buy a floppy :S

It will say in your motherboard manual how to do the raid setup

As I have said you don't need a flash drive all you need is a optical drive and a blank dvd and is use nlite so that you don't have to touch your OS install it will just work and configure everything the way you like it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom