From WIN XP to WIN VISTA ULTIMATE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BAsically the MAIN driver you need to find is the network card. Once you can get on the internet you can find the rest of the drivers. Do you plan on getting an oem version(1 install) or retail. Retail ultimate is going to run you near 500 bucks at best buy. Microcenter.com has vista home premium 32 oem for 79 bucks. Thats the best deal going.

What are those 3 extras?

I have had my computer for more than 5 years. Will I have trouble finding the drivers? I mean its sony so yeah...

I hope so.

I was thinking the same. But then again why do people buy iPods instead of the superior Zune? Because of the interface. And I like Vista's interface and such.

Hey this post was pretty helpful. Thanks!

I need help on where to find my drivers right now. Can someone guide me? What information do you need from me? I need to be prepared to upgrade. What are the checklist I need so everything is working fine? I will do a clean install to Vista Ultimate. I will buy it at Bestbuy later on this weekend.

What are some firewall alternatives that works on Vista?
Okay the 3 Extras are BitLocker, Texas Hold Em Poker and Dreamscene.

For your hardware use this:

Download details: Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor

That is the Vista Upgrade Advisor. That will tell you what hardware you will have trouble with. For specifics use CPUz. It is a free download via Google. From there you can google each part seperately and find out which ones have Vista Drivers.

Firewall alternatives for Vista. Zone Alarm, and Eset Smart SEcurity are the best from what i ahve used so far.

It said everything is ready to go. So I guess all I have to do now is buy it. Thanks guys! I do wonder though if I do a clean install on Windows Vista, will my drivers be affected?

Yes. Because you will have to format and a format gets rid of all info currently on the drive.

Okay so how do I pinpoint what drivers I have? Can you guide me?

I used the CPUz and it didn't show the driver hardware I had.

CPUz will not show you teh drivers. It shows you teh hardware you use. That along with the device manager will get you to teh end. CPUz gives you the name and manufacturer of the device. From there you go to their site and search for their drivers. Then you download them.

What ever CPUz doesnt show you use the Device Manager for those. It gives you teh name of all the devices just like CPUz did. Now go to those sites and search and download them.

The major ones you will need are sound card, video card, ethernet adapter. Those 3 are always the big ones. Other than that having the chipset drivers is always good. Maybe the ones for you mouse and keyboard.

I cant guide you anymore since i dont know what hardware you have. This will require you to do some searching yourself.

sound, video and ethernet has been covered downloaded. Is the mouse, keyboard, chipset really necessary? I mean I didn't need install it on a new computer, while on the other hand I did video, sound and Ethernet manually.

Well if you have any fancy buttons for media controls on your keyboard then yes they will be necessary. The mouse all depends as well. My mouse is a Razer so i had to do it for the buttons to work.

Chipset is important cause they may conatin new USB drivers which you might need.

I have a few hundred $ to spend. I'm a little bored in the WiNXP interface so I'm planning to upgrade to VISTA ULT. Putting money aside as a factor, will Vista be "better" than XP PRO?

Stats: P4 2.8 GHZ, 2gb pc2700 ram, 512mb 7600gs graphics card.

All I'm planning to run is the:

CS3 (Photoshop, Premiere Pro)

and some apps like:

Firefox, VLC Media Player, Super (vid conversion software), iTunes, Microsoft Office 2007, NOD 32 3, Zone Alarm Pro

save your money and buy this

WinStep: Desktop Themes and Customizing Windows!

Firewall, i think zonealarm works on vista now but ive heard its abit sluggish so i didnt bother with it, ive just been running windows firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom