Gaming lag!

Status
Not open for further replies.
you wont lag playing single player.
it is either
a) your upload speed
b) your settings are too high (for multiplayer)
c) you are on a server with laggy players. yes, one 250 ping will screw up the whole server, especially if you are right next to him. which i always seem to be (before i boot him):eek:

Well, I thought it was my settings, too.. But then I lowered to Medium, and on an nVidia 7900 GS I should not be getting the lag I am getting on medium settings, if I do I am shipping this baby back.. lol..

I think it might be my upload speed.. I have a p.o.s. wireless adapter that's very old, and I could use a new one..

I only ahve like 350 - 380 KBps Upload.. is that too little?

erm, I can't seem to come around to the fact that my random skipping in games is due to my 1g of RAM.

I have never heard of that happening, gaming lag because of RAM, unless it's drastic differences, but I mean I have 1g.. I could buy 1g, but I doubt that would do much to help me..

any help?

errm....usually not enough memory is the number 1 problem in circumstances like yours.

If you don't have enough memory then your puter will start using swap space and thats when you see the slowdowns. ESPECIALLY in BF2...the game has been shown to have improvements with 4gb so I can't even imagine running it on 1gb.

Another thing you can do is run a spyware scan to see if anything is running in the background stealing processing power.

Well, Now that you mention it, I was using the tool that nvidia gave me with my card, Ntune, and I noticed it was using like 99% of my Disk and about 100% of my Memory =O

So maybe you're right.. But on my old PC I had like 1.5 - 2 Gigs of RAM, and an nVidia 6200 OC card, Bf2 ran smooth as butter, on low settings of course, but still..

So, I will look into updating my GFX card drivers and check RAM prices on newegg. Thanks.

Keep the suggestions coming =) will post back in a few with an update.

The RAM would probably help. Other than that your upload speed is kind of low. I'd recommend at least 500kb/s up for smooth mutliplayer play.

Ummmm no you can definitely eliminate your upload speed from the list of possible factors. It is true that you've got a pretty bad ratio of download to upload speed, no offense, but I don't think it's the problem here. I used to have the CRAPPIEST "broadband" service known to mankind, 768 kbs/s down and 128 kbs/s up, and I was still able to play any game online just fine with little or no lag, and if there were ever troubles, it was due to my former pos computer.

The only time an upload speed like that could cause lag, is if you were hosting the game, or if another computer on your network was uploading or for that matter downloading files to/from a website.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

I think I'm going to purchase the RAM, that might also solve random 3 - 4 second lock-ups outside of BF2 (although that's different, not nearly as frequent as in-game, the lock-ups occur maybe once every 45 minutes..)

Newegg.com - Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Sound good? It looks good, and I used the newegg memory finder feature, by telling it my PC so it must be compatible.. Will double check, though.

thanks.

what's your current brand of RAM? It's not always good to mix and match brands, so you'll want to make sure they're the same. Also make sure they're at the same speed, eg 667 mhz, 800 mhz, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom