Video card help

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjm80

Solid State Member
I am in the process of building my first computer, most the parts are ordered and on the way.

I am stuck on the video card. I am tempted with going over budget and getting the (overpriced) 8800gt.

But after reading reviews people are saying they run hot... I read further and start getting into "aftermarket cooling" and "don't forget the VRMs" and feeling confused and wondering if i should be worrying about this especially since i cant afford any extra cooling...

Should i be worried? Is it going to blow up even at stock speed?

Overpriced 8800GT!?

Ah, its at an extremely good price, its basically half of the GTX with 85% of the performance...

Anyway, definately spend the extra on the GT, and dont worry about cooling unless you are overclocking. They come under waranty you know.

It isn't overpriced. Cheaper then the GTX and performs nearly as good as the Ultra. As for cooling, if you're worried about it, might be wanting to look for the Zalman VF1000 or the ThermalRight HR-03. Those aftermarket coolers supports the 8800 Series.

overpriced? man I lol'd XD You dont want to know what I paid for the ultra then lol Gt is a great card. And it shouldnt blow up at stock speed, considerign most peple can overclock the ultra with Stock cooling. And the GT should run cooler than the ultra. (I could be wrong)

the gt WILL run cooler, its new tech and slimline and all that goofy stuff, 85% of the performance, half the price, and I think it said 1/3 less power consumed.. is that accurate or was that the wrong quote... but yes less power used. and the less power the less over heating it will get- the stock fan will work great on it- if you OC def check that info above on aftermarket cooling- also before you void warrenties you might just want to adjust your case fans for better airflow- that may be all you need.

overpriced 8800gt??? u mean under-priced... but the GT pwns.. especially if u SLi..

lol wow ok, sorry... i take it back, not overpriced :p

I guess I am just mad i didnt get it when it was $230.. but thats my problem, hehe.

Ok good to know. It doesnt seem available... anywhere... but i do see it "in stock" on evga's site... anyone ever ordered straight from them? Should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom