Shut down problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth

Baseband Member
My PC has been having problems shutting down. I've make sure there are no unessesary things running at startup, I've run my norton antivirus and spybot. My PC is four years old so mabye it's just getting old? The strange thing is it must get far enough in the shut down process to be almost shut down because even if I hold the button to shut it down at that point it does not say it was shut down incorectly. Sometimes when It does not shut down on its own a sreen comes up with orange and black bars down the screen not sure what's up with this.

bet you this thing can be up and running faster than yours though. It hardly ever crashes and such, aside from the specs when it comes to gaming and shutting down this thing runs nicely.

set nortons to NOT scan floppy drive on access. That maybe the problem. When windows sends the park/shutdown command to the floppy drive during shutdown, sometimes norton will see this as access and want to investigate which can cause problems. So disable that and see if that works.

Sorry I was really pissed when I wrote that cause I didn't get an answer. You're right it wouldn't beat yours but it starts up pretty fast for its age. Killians45 thank you, I thought it had something to do with the floopy drive cause it always seems to be making noice right when the computer stops.

I have windows ME running on my other system and I have the same problem from time to time. I just pop in my bootdisk and the program "Drive Image SE" starts up and BAM! its like new again. I will soon be upgrading that thing to XP because it has so many dll errors and kernel errors it's not funny!

Sephiroth said:
Sorry I was really pissed when I wrote that cause I didn't get an answer. You're right it wouldn't beat yours but it starts up pretty fast for its age. Killians45 thank you, I thought it had something to do with the floopy drive cause it always seems to be making noice right when the computer stops.

well...it looks to me like you asked if it was getting old...i answered it...

anyway off of that, have you fixed it? My old computers used to always do that. If you havent fixed it i can think of something...

Well it seems to have solved whatever problem was caused by Norton but now it just doesn't shut down and it seems to have nothing to do with the floppy drive, could it be because I have 14 out of 27 GB of memory used up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom