Hard Disk Cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hello all, trying to learn how you cool hard disks. I have all my temps nice and cool now, hard disks are running the hottest, but from what I understand the temps are still fine.

Two Sata Hard Disks:
Maxtor 250GB 42c
Western Digital 250GB 37C

The drives are mounted on the bottom of my case an a 80mm case fan set to intake blows cool air onto them.

How else do you cool hard disks? This isn't something I'm worried about with the above temps and I believe I read somewhere that hard disks run a little better warmer anyway. But just for the purpose of knowledge, how do you cool hard disks?

2 cooling types that I know of :

1. Heatsinks that mount onto the HD.
2. A fan mounted on top of the HD , sucking heat in its normal air direction, upwards.

Unless you have a really crappy case with really crappy air flow the intake fan blowing over the hard drives is more than sufficient cooling.

same here..my hdd stays at about 40c.
get speedfan or everest to check the temps...if the temps are good or decent...additional cooling isnt needed.

Awesome info, thanks all. I didn't know about hard disk heat sinks.

My current temps are fine, and that seems to be as hot as the hard disks get, so I won't bother with any extra cooling. Just finished this build and was checking into everything to be sure all was well. The Maxtor drive is already a couple years old and I'll probably replace it soon. Used a Seagate 500gb in my second machine and really love that drive, very cool and very quiet. Will get one of those for this build when I have the funds.

Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom