The way I see it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought some of the next-gen games are going to be quad threaded and utilize all four cores to a certain extent?

Well, first let me say, that I know very little on the subject, so don't necessarily believe what I say!

I was being tentative because, while I know little about multi-threaded coding, I do know that it is a very involved affair, an not something that game designers can trivially just do at the press of a button. So recoding a current game or engine for multithreading is a big no. Now, given the last 5-10 years, companies have been reusing code and game engines (which, given the complexity of games these days, is really the only economically viable choice), it is no mean task to suddenly come out with games optimised for quad-threading.

All the same, the basic concept of multi-cored processors is such a good one, I can't see the computer industry not making the best use of them in the future.

I think that moving to Quad core will be beneficial .. soon.

You see, at the moment, almost no games have support for multi-core. So then why is dual-core reccomended? It allows general multitasking, and, for the most part, dual-core is all that is around anymore. (for Intel, mostly AMD too)

Quad-core is not yet needed until games start taking huge advantage of multi-cores, which although I wish was soon, I doubt it will be. I mean, who needs four cores for multitasking?

That's just my two cents though. Think of it like this, dual-core is the new single-core, and quad is the new dual.

lol @ Quad as the new dual core.

Wow, it looks like there is alot more to the subject then meets the eye. I never was aware of even half of the coding involved with next gen gaming. What about alan wake? It's the game similar to the style of max payne, dynamic lighting and the sort. Anyways, during the presentation of alan wake, the presentator commented that the game was taking full advantage of each core of the quadcore processor. Is this what you mean when you talk about multi-core coding andy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom