Is this a monitor or video card problem? help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashhands

Beta member
my computer has a dvi port only. last night it kept freezing on screensaver mode. Today it went on standby and froze while I was working on it. Upon reboot the dvi monitor says "no signal" and goes blank. I plugged my computer to a vga monitor via a dvi to vga converter. It boots up fine and I can see the screen, but the display is messed up with vertical lines all over. What do you think? Is it a monitor or video card problem? I don't know if the dvi monitor works with another computer as I have no way to test it. The vga monitor does work fine with another computer.

Sounds like a video card problem. Monitor problems are very rare. Does the BIOS show up (the logo and stuff when you first turn on the PC)? If so, then it could just be faulty drivers. If the BIOS fails to show up as well, it's probably a bad card. You could try resetting the BIOS first (usually a jumper on the motherboard), and if that fails, replace the card. If the BIOS does show, boot your OS into safe mode (or Linux users, ctrl+shift+backspace to go to terminal) and uninstall/reinstall your drivers.

Update video drivers.

RMA your video card (or try another) as this is more feasible than replacing your monitors to troubleshoot. Let us know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom