Gaming PC Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good. But you mentioned he wants it to be able to play most games on a 17" at medium settings AND last a long time. Heh in this day and age those 2 things are mutually exclusive.

I should have said he wants it to play games at medium settings on a 17" crt, and it needs to be upgradable for a few years.

How much is an 8800GT 512MB ?

They go for around $260+. But I think it's a bit too much for such a small monitor. All that power that the 8800GT possesses, will just go to waste playing games on 1024 x 768.

The 256mb version though, is a nice one. And I think it might be sub $200.

Thats what I was thinking b1gapl....that it would just be overkill for a 17" crt

Sometimes I just don't think people understand that the size and resolution you play at determines how much video power that you need.

My video card with OC is about as fast as the one you have in the list (Mines a little faster IIRC). My card only gets about 30fps on crysis with a mix of medium low settings at 1024x768. So if you want future proof without needed to upgrade really soon you might want to consider the 256mb 8800gt.

I have a collection of pc games that start from like 1997 and run thru until now....about 3 large rubbermaid tubs full of pc games...I hate to say how many....hundreds and hundreds.....he will be playing my software....so by the time he gets to crysis....an 8800 will be cheap....and obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom