Penryn and above motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
I was thinking about building soon, but I always have trouble picking out a mobo.

1. Are any current chipsets going to be compatable with the new processors?

2. Are they going to stay with 775 or move to a new socket?

3. Will DDR3 become standard soon?

1. most newish ones (p35, 680i, X38 etc.) (need 1333Mhz bus speed)

2. sticking with 775 for penryn

3. debatable. I think no.

So penryn compatability is not likely to be a big issue.

1. most newish ones (p35, 680i, X38 etc.) (need 1333Mhz bus speed)

2. sticking with 775 for penryn

3. debatable. I think no.

So penryn compatability is not likely to be a big issue.

right on target.........

2. Penryn will be 775. Nehalem will be a new socket and comes out q4 2008

3. ddr3 will probably be the norm at some point but not for a while. Just a guess but maybe late next year or early 2009 it will be a standard but it will probably be a while before it completely overtakes ddr2. It took a while for ddr2 to become the norm and it seems like ddr2 was more needed.

DDR3 will most likely take hold when nehalem comes out with the onboard memory controller, up until then the amount of speed you get from ddr3 over ddr2 isnt worth the 2-3x pricetag. P35, x38, x48, 680i and 650i will all handle penryns when they come out but may require a bios flash.

With the new chipset for the Nehalem i wonder if the manufacturers are going to put in PCI-e 16x 2.0 i heard something about this at one time with the x38 boards but i lost track of that some time ago. also are they keeping the ATX form factor for the new mobo's on nehalem?

I would assume that everything coming out now past x38 and above will have pci-e 2.0. Nehalem will get rid of the northbridge though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom