A couple general cooling questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
1. What's the advantage to connecting case fans to the motherboard? Since they run slower, obvioulsy they are quieter, but would connecting them straight to a molex from the PSU be better for the higher RPM?

2. PCI exhaust fans. Are they really any good? I have an 8800GTS which has it's own exhaust fan, would having a PCI exhaust fan under it help at all, or is that just wasting power and adding noise?

Thanks for any feedback, and appreciate all the great help I've gotten through this site in general :)

Connecting the fan directly to the Molex, will make it run at full speed which results in a louder fan and more CFM.

I'd say PCI exhaust fans aren't needed. Just do a wire management, get about 2 120mm fans if possible, and it'll have a good airflow.

If you want to spend some money, you could invest in a fan controller. I just got my Vantec NXP-305 today, and it's working really well so far...I have a Vantec Tornado by the way, so that thing is LOUD:p .

The controller will allow you to get the full RPM of the fan if needed, but also allow you to turn it down when you don't need or want it to run at full speed.

You get a pair of cathode lights with the NXP-305 as well, so that's an added bonus.:D They look pretty good too.

A fan controller would be NICE.

I just picked up a Dynex 120mm fan to put on my side panel. The thing is LOUD. It will literally drive me nutz, not sure what to do. Tried it as exhaust and lowered my temps 2-3 degrees and as intake dropped them 5-6. (probably better intake because it blows right onto my 8800gts which is my hottest comp)
I like the cooling, but this must just be a cheapo fan. Well, it was retail, so I guess I can take it back and use my 80mm until I find something more quiet or something with a controller. The 80mm diretcly hooked up to a molex is almost completely silent. I popped in some rubber gaskets/washers under the screws to try to help quiet the thing but it's just a beast. Like a hair dryer on a low/medium setting. But for $15 I'll get my cash back ;)

I'll go read up on those controllers.

Anyone know of a nice QUIET 120mm fan without LEDs? Have to sleep in the same room as the PC and I leave it on at night, so no lights ;)

No worries if I snip the LED wire? Never thought of doing that :)

I have a Centurion 5 case now with the Cooler Master fans and they are very quiet regardless of what speed they run at, so if snipping the LED is easy an causes no harm I'll pick those up. Have a $17 credit at NewEgg too. hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom