grrrr! GTX power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

J9Darkwing

Baseband Member
Looks like each 8800 GTX requires two 6 pin pci-e plugs coming off the power supply. So in order to run two 8800 GTX GPUs in sli I have to have a power supply with FOUR 6 pin plugs. The only one I've found so far is almost $300 bucks.
Now, I realize that you can plug two 4 pin molex into one 6 pin pci-e plugs but that means each card would eat up four 4 pin molex plugs.

Here is the list of system components I'm planning to buy this coming Friday (I already have the hard drives in the following list)
Q6600 processor (G0 stepping)
Asus Striker Extreme MB
4gig Crucial ddr2 ram
ZALMAN CNPS9700 (cpu cooling fan)
2x 74gig 10k rpm raptors (sata)
1x 320gig WD Hard drive (sata)
1x 200gig Hard drive (sata)
2x BFG 8800 GTX vid cards (One this Friday, one two paychecks down the line)
1x Fatal1ty sound card
COOLER MASTER CM 690 (Case)
1x logitech g15 keyboard (already have)

Can someone tell me with some kind of certainty if the following powersupply will support that system?
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?&scriteria=BA23470

Thanks for lending my your time and brain power. :)

I've been researching the corsair PSU since your post and I'm very hesitant. It's very sketchy as to exactly what kind of plugs actually come with the unit. Even the downloadable spec manual doesn't tell you exactly what plugs come with it, simply stating that it comes with 8 serial ATA which is not the same as a 4 pin molex. The system I've described would require
4 true serial ata plugs
2 molex (for the optical drives)
4 pci-e plugs (or 2 pci-e plugs and four more 4 pin molex plugs)
I'm not exactly a power supply expert so please don't be frustrated with me if you've pointed out the obvious and I missed it.
I like the modular style psu. I currently have a rosewill 550 modular on my amd system and love it.

The 620 has 2 8 pins and 2 6 pins. But unless you already bought the gtx's get 2 "gt"s for half the price and 90% of thep erformance

No, each pci-e plug only uses 2 molex. So you could use 1 pci-e pin and a adapter to use 2 molex's on each card for SLI.

Yes, each pci-e plug uses 2 molex. The 8800 GTX have 2 pci-e plugs per card. That's 4 molex per card. The 2 pci-e plugs would go for one card, the second would require four molex and two adapters.

I've found the following psu and it's looking good so far. . .
Newegg.com - Rosewill RX850-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 850W Power Supply 100 - 240 V TUV, FCC, UL, CE, ROHS - Retail

Thanks, Veedubfreak, I'm researching the 2xGT option too and it's certainly on my brain.

You wouldn't need that much power. Like I suggested up there with the Corsair 620HX, it comes with modular cables.

a.jpg

It comes with 2 PCI-e 6 pin power connectors, and it plugs in to the side of the PSU.

a-1.jpg

Also if you can go SLI gt for the same price as 1 gtx AND heres the cool part, you can get a corsair VX550 to power the entire system :) Not sure if you really need the striker, im going to pick up the evga sli 680i board instead. I just cant justify the extra 100 bucks for the stirker. Also im told Asus has utter crap for customer service if you ever have problems with it.

You wouldn't need that much power. Like I suggested up there with the Corsair 620HX, it comes with modular cables.

a.jpg

It comes with 2 PCI-e 6 pin power connectors, and it plugs in to the side of the PSU.

a-1.jpg

i think what hes saying is the corsair doesn't come with enough PCI-E plugs for both GTX's, each of them require 2, and the 620 only comes with 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom