wattage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poizen22

Camera junky
ok is tehre a software i can download that will scanhow much energy my rig is pulling, i wana upgrade to the 8800gt, before i buy anything else, as itl be usable now, exept i dont kno if my psu will handle it.

thats a good question... i always wondered how anandtech found out how they get their PC Power Consumption...

I thought they used whats effectively an amp meter, plugged that into the wall and then the computer into the meter, just a little more complex then your run 'o the mill one. At least that seems logical to me.

Give more information about your PSU. Specifically, the amperage on your 12v rails.

A 450w PSU is pushing it... but I suppose in theory it can handle it.
If I were you, I would shell out a bit for a nice 600w+ PSU.

Also, there are PSU calculators on the internet. Google wattage calculator or something. There are no programs that can monitor the power your computer is consuming. If anything, it'd have to be a piece of hardware.

this is what it says,dc output:=3.3v===22.0A(ORG),+5v===36.0A(red),+12v===18.0A(yel)=5vsb===2.0A(purp) and then it repeats the last one thre times, just diferent coulours, and finally fuse rating:8a,250v-(3.3v at +5v=220w max)
peak load 450w

thats directly off teh side

Give more information about your PSU. Specifically, the amperage on your 12v rails.

Also, there are PSU calculators on the internet. Google wattage calculator or something. There are no programs that can monitor the power your computer is consuming. If anything, it'd have to be a piece of hardware.

well i did there it is ^^^

Not necessarily, I'd say if there is 30+ Amps on the +12V rails, then it'll be good for the 8800GT. But to be on the safe side, looking towards for the Corsair 520HX or Xclio 500W/550W would be a good idea.

EVGA 8800GT said:
Minimum 450 Watt for SLI mode system.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amp Amps.)

Well some of us aren't that experienced to the other things in a PSU except for quality brands and AMPs.

*Me to be exact. But, my brain is still collecting info on Hardware Troubleshooting and such. :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom