Vista Ultimate 32bit or 64 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
HI guys, i do know this question has been asked over and over again, but im deciding to goto vista ult soon.

I have only 2gb of memory now, but if install the 64 bit version, ill eventually get another 2gb of ram.

If i get a 32bit, ill just get another gig of ram so ill have 3gb total.

Now what i want to know is that....

is 64 bit better in gameplay and regular pc performance?
does it run applications better and faster?
will it be as compatible as it will be for 32bit?

Im not going to wait for the SP1 anymore, because its going to be a rollup update anyways, and a lot of people are on it anyways.
I do know that vista has its flaws right now, but if you come to think of it, xp was the same in the beginning.

And if i wanna get use to something new, i might as well get started now.

IIRC, 64bit provides no performance increases, just allows for more ram in reality

but it also decreases some software and driver compatibility.

I'm runnign ultimate 32bit.

as far as I know, the only major performance change youll see, will be with the 4th gig of ram if you get it. I don't have any evidence to back that up.. Just what I've read on forums and such.

As far as compatability. Now and future programs heck yeah, won't differ at all from 32bit. Backwards compatability? It might have a few issues that 32 didn't/doesnt. But I don't know which programs/games those would be.

I've been running 32bit vista for 3 or 4 months now and have not hit even 1 compatability problem. Nothin. Maybe one or two bugs. Most people that say it's junk and full of bugs haven't even used it. Or used it when it first came out and not since. I see very few bug's and I'm running 1gb ddr pc3200. (Aero off of course).

I don't know if you use a lot of old programs and games but I don't see any problems with goign to ultimate 64. When I get my new system up i'll actually buy a copy of vista 64. Just don't want the hassle of alternative routes lol.

Alternatively unless your using ram intensive applications or going for high 3dmark numbers and such 3gb is plenty. That beign said I'm going to 4 eventually as well. hahaha

You are overlooking the fact that. MANY PROGRAMS DON'T SUPPORT 64 bit.

It is bad enough finding stuff that runs on vista. add 64 bit to that and it is gonna be rough.

what doesn't run on vista? I havent hit anything >.>

keep in mind o don't use animation software and all that. Though I do have the adobe cs3 master collection for photo editing and junk. Music editing programs all work fine. I've run into some really old games I dl just for a few hours of kicks and giggles that havent worked. carmageddon tdr2000 gives me some wrong disc error I can't get around. kindof annoying. might just be a faulty install. I downloaded a portal standalone that isnt workign right either but I think the guy just didnt know what the h*** he was doing when he compressed it. XD i'm gonna grab orange box when new systems up anyway so no biggie.

go with 64bit.. as for modern devices the drivers for 64bit are there.. and if there are Software issues.. you can always run it with Compatibitty Mode.. and make it run like on XP 32 Bit..

go with 64bit.. as for modern devices the drivers for 64bit are there.. and if there are Software issues.. you can always run it with Compatibitty Mode.. and make it run like on XP 32 Bit..

o sweet...thanks for reminding me about that compatibility mode thing.
These are the current applications i use...what needs to be rebought in 64bit?

steam
office 07
cs3
ccleaner
kaspersky IS 7
u torrent
nero 8

games i play
world in conflict, bioshock,tf2,hl2 ep2, crysis, cod 4, fifa 08,pes 08, madden 08, portal.

my hardware is pretty much new since i just built this pc, so i think ill be fine with that.

I do plan on getting 4gb ram and then the q9450.

If im running 2gb on 64bit for now....will i notice slowdowns? or a diff if i was running 2gb on 32 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom