Formatting in DOS mode...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATIRAGEPRO

Daemon Poster
For many of us, formatting drives are a task were not willing to tackle. Sometimes, trying to format drive through windows is as complicated as manually optimizing your registry. So instead of looking for programs that do it for you, there are ways that this can be done in DOS mode. Which will save time, and brainpower.

1st method

The first step would be to make a startup floppy. (Since some OS’s like Win 2000 or XP don’t allow you access to dos mode.) This can be done the same way you format a floppy. Simply ‘right-click’ on the disk icon in the ‘My Computer’ folder, then select ‘Format…’ In there, should be the option of ‘Quick (Erase),’ ‘Full,’ and ‘Copy system files only’ (If you’re disk is already empty.) Now if you’re disk has stuff you’re trying to get rid of, select the ‘Full’ or ‘Quick (Erase)’ option, then at the bottom, click the ‘Copy system files’ check box. Press the ‘Start’ button, and in minutes, you’ll have a working startup disk.

(Keep in mind that you need the file ‘FORMAT.COM’ in the disk for this process to take effect. To download this file, Click Here.)

Now if your CMOS settings are already set to seek the floppy disk first, you shouldnÂ’t have a problem. Simply restart you computer when the process is done.
After that, It should have started up through drive ‘A:\>’. So there should be something that looks like this:

A:\>

Now after that, simply type:

Format D: (This really depends on the drive you want to Format, so IÂ’m only using drive D: as an example.)

And press <ENTER>. That should begin the formatting process.
After the process is complete, there will be an option prompting you to label (name) the disk. (This is optional.) After that, press enter. And you now have a completely empty Drive.

Feel free to contact me if you have any formatting issuesÂ…

:cool:

wow you gotta be kidding? it took me 3 hours doing trial and error and i finally got www.killdisk.com onto a floppy lol

i had that formatted floppy but no i didnt type Format C:

:( oh well thanks for the info :p i'll try using this next time i need too

"The bitmap: RELOADED....."

Second MethodÂ…

Another way to format disks in DOS mode dose not require you to reboot. However, it does still require the ‘FORMAT.COM’ file to work. The FORMAT.COM file becomes available in this mode when formatting from the primary drive.

To begin with this process, simply locate the ‘MS-DOS Prompt application. (Note: for Windows 98, 95, and ME users, this should be located in the start menu in the ‘Programs’ category. Windows 200 and XP users find this app in the ‘All Programs/Accessories/’ category.) After you’ve opened it, there should be white text in a black background, (Like DOS mode,) in a window. The text should look something like this:

Microsoft ® windows 98
© Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

C:\WINDOWS>

(Well thatÂ’s how mine looks anywayÂ…) The DOS mode program automatically starts from the primary drive. So all you have to do is type:

FORMAT D: (Or whatever drive youÂ’re trying to delete,)

Then press <ENTER>, and there will be an option saying:

WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK
DRIVE D:
(or whatever) WILL BE LOST!
Proceed with format? <Y/N>?

Then, if you want to format, press ‘y’. But if you’re having second thoughts, press ‘n’ and you will be returned to the ‘C:\WINDOWS>’ row.
So after pressing ‘y’, should begin verifying the format. And then begin formatting. (Which usually takes 1 1/5’s second to complete on average.) After the formatting process is complete, there should be an option that says:

Volume label, <11 CHARACTERS, ENTER for none>?

Now, labeling the disk isnÂ’t mandatory, so you can simply press <ENTER>, and the process is done.

NOTE: If a row popÂ’s up saying:

Drive D: is currently in use by another process.
Aborting Format.

That means your drive is currently being occupied by another application. Typically an Antivirus program of some sort, so youÂ’ll have to disable it before you continueÂ…
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom