Hot! Hot! Hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,
I've just installed GRAW 2 again (Ghost Recon Adv Warfighter 2). and I already know that it's a very cpu demanding game.
As the weathers getting hotter now (it's summer time for those of you who aren't in Australia), temperates are reaching the 32C mark. When I play GRAW 2 now, my cpu starts beeping at me because it's getting too hot, it pushes it up to around the 78C mark :S. It idles around 60C.

However it is in one of those enclosed desk spots (you know how your computer inside a little shelf thing on the side of your desk), which doesn't allow much cool airflow to get into it, could this be a reason why my temps are reaching so hot? I've already got an OEM hsf on there and it doesn't really seem to be cooling things down, the next option is water cooling, any suggestions?

Well I'm just using the generic paste that came with the HSF, as for intake, I've got a Thermaltake Soprano Case so I'm guessing it does have intake fans (120mm on the back), 80mm i think on the side and another 120mm on the front.

Yea that should be fine. Just you really should get your case outa that hole if you plan on OCing like that. Your taking a risk at frying something.

And FYI GRAW2 isnt that demanding. You should play it fine if i do.

Nothing is overclocked except for the graphics card... CPU is stock as a rock.
And I don't normally run the gfx card at the overclocked setting anyway.

Yeah, I'll give that another go, remove the existing thermal paste and put some more back on. What should my idle temps be? saying that the room is about 24C ambient.

Honestly i have no idea since i have no real experience with a C2D. Somebody here should probably be able to tell you. Id say (guessing) maybe 45c?

The C2D should idle around 30-40 and your load should be around 40-50(in a hot room). You don't want anything above 60. I had the same problem over the summer, I would suggest taking your tower out of the cubby its in since abmient temps can really affect your cpu temps (you need for the tower to be able to get rid of the heat inside). Also as others said, it can't hurt to make sure your heat sink is seated properly, since your temps are getting that high.

Also your video card is prob heating up your case a lot if its happening when your plays a graphic intensive game, which is more of a reason to make sure you have good air flow thru your case (perhaps another fan on the vid card, thats what i did).

Id definately reccomend at least some high quality thermal grease- for how little it costs it can be a major lifesaver.

as for placement- if you can deal with it have the case pushed up against the side without fans- this will allow more intake/vent from the side- and try configuring fans- use the front as intake and rear as exhaust I assume- whats the side set on - does it pull in or push out?

Believe it or not you may wanna flip some of those fans - most people dont realize more fans doesnt mean cooler if there not working together. Ive seen an 80mm intake and 120 exhaust with a side fan Intake and a top exhaust and it kept things really cool- using the same case they flipped the fans around to some other settings and it made a 5C change- which is just crazy if your thinking about it.

I can't remember the site- I was just googling fan placement and it popped up- but it makes sense really- too much intake and it blocks the exhaust- the extra air just sorta floats in there
and keeps heating up.

I know the sidewinder case has a problem with "stagnant air" just floatin behind the CDrom- between it and the PSU- and it was probed at up to 120C just sitting there- there solution was to cut vents at that spot- hot air rises so it just vented out- major difference in temps all through the case after that minor modification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom