Data Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalenci

Beta member
At present, I am on a WinME system (Fat32). I want to upgrade my system to WinXP Pro. How can I access to my data files which are on another drive and were created on a Fat32 format. Is this possible? Another thing, my family has 4 computers at home. they aare all formatted with fat32 system, can they access data files that will be created on WinXP? How?

yeah u can access both ntfs and fat-32 file system in xp ..! it doesn matter in which file system you format your drive your data can be accessed ...!!

Vnet said:
yeah u can access both ntfs and fat-32 file system in xp ..! it doesn matter in which file system you format your drive your data can be accessed ...!!

That is incorrect. If you format your drive as NTFS, and install XP, the other 4 computers (with FAT32) will NOT be able to read any data on a NTFS partition.

Lone Wolf said:
That is incorrect. If you format your drive as NTFS, and install XP, the other 4 computers (with FAT32) will NOT be able to read any data on a NTFS partition.

i am sorry if im incorrect but wot if the other 4 pc's r winxp too then i think it will read the ntfs...

Vnet said:
i am sorry if im incorrect but wot if the other 4 pc's r winxp too then i think it will read the ntfs...

It does not matter whether the other 4 PCs are running XP or not. I'll say it again - operating systems running on a FAT/FAT32 partition cannot read data/files on a NTFS partition.

Unless you have a software/utiliyt to do this, the two file systems are totally different and you won't be able to read the files on the ntfs partition.

Lone Wolf said:
It does not matter whether the other 4 PCs are running XP or not. I'll say it again - operating systems running on a FAT/FAT32 partition cannot read data/files on a NTFS partition.

Unless you have a software/utiliyt to do this, the two file systems are totally different and you won't be able to read the files on the ntfs partition.

NO YOU DO NOT NEED ANY UNTILITY !!!!!!!!! Wether you are on fat32 or ntfs ... you can access the ntfs drive on the other PC ...and because of this thread I DID AN EXPERIMENT and it worked .... my other pc which is on fat32 can access all my ntfs partitions in my drive from the network..!!!!! and you can also install cp on fat32 dont you know that..!! WINDOWS XP IS ACTUALLY THE SOFTWARE/UTITIYT To do wot eve stuff u said.!

Yes VNET, you do. Reading a NTFS over a network is a different story, however with a dual boot system, a FAT32 will NOT real a NTFS. Its not an argument, its a fact. Over a network, that is different, but dual boot. No, Lone Wolf is correct. Unless you have a utility or a magic computer ;)

In answer to the actual question, any o/s can access the NTFS partition over a network. You are limited only to the local machine. So say you have 2 HDD in one system, if its fat32 it will NOT access the local NTFS HDD in same said system. However, u can over a network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom