my windows O.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z e i g

In Runtime
i have a windows o.s. and i have the disks to put in on another comp (my new one i'm getting) but last time i completely had to put the o.s. i went thrue literally 5 hours of **** with a guy from the dell hotline..i don't want to go throught that again..any way i can get around it? Also, what is a good O.S. out there now, how much is it?, and do i really need another one?

Okay now seriously...i am not sure what to say here. The new one should have a OS no? What OS are you running now. The reason why Dell gave you a hard time is cause the OS is only for hte Dell PC. So putting it on another PC is illegal and they cant help you accomplish this nor can we according to the rules of the site. We can say that using this disc will install the OS and there is a serial and a number to call that you can possibly get it working.

As for the OS out there...Really why ask? I mean if you cant figure out by the topic pinned at the top and all the news about it out there then i am sorry to say but honestly you should do some research. The answers are there and you will only get people opinions and not the answer you should come to yourself since it is YOUR system not ours.

hey no offence but chill, don't give me crap. it wont come with it cuz i'm making it srry to leave that out! they didn't give me crap i had to type shiz in and then wait liek an hour for it to load or w.e. i was using a dell comp.

but is it really illegal to go buy and OS and put it on a self made comp? thats retarded..

If you know enough to build a computer, you should know how to buy and install an OS. You will have to buy a full version copy of Windows if you are installing from scratch. And you shouldn't be upset that it takes an hour or two to install and set up an OS. That's just the facts of life; that's how it works.

If you don't mind running an OS that is incompatible with Windows, go check out Ubuntu at Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu It is a nice, free OS, but don't expect it to run any Windows software.

hey no offence but chill, don't give me crap. it wont come with it cuz i'm making it srry to leave that out! they didn't give me crap i had to type shiz in and then wait liek an hour for it to load or w.e. i was using a dell comp.

but is it really illegal to go buy and OS and put it on a self made comp? thats retarded..

Okay umm what? You asked a stupid question so i responded that way. I mean like forrestcupp said you know enough to build a PC then you should know how the OS EULA works.

First off you bought a Dell. You got a OS license with that purchase which is good for the Dell and the Dell ONLY. You do not own the OS. You own the license which is already used.

So you can take whatever you want. You can say what you want. But the truth is this. If you can build it and you can run it. Then you should know how a OS works.

The install times...wel what can i say. It takes me about 20 minutes to isntall XP. About 35 minutes to isntall Vista. If your PC takes an hour or more. Maybe you should upgrade it so it doesnt take so long.

You asked about the newer OS's out there. I mean you see topics start up everyday about it. If you cant figure out that VISTA is the new OS. I am sorry but building a PC should be the least of your worries.

building is the least, i just havent really looked at OS's alot yet, so yeah, the last time i did it was when i completely cleared my HD. i have a disk for the OS so i figured i owned it but guess not. i could be mistakend but when u buy a new OS and put it on you comp don't u stil have to set new bios n' stuff. Also if u buy a new OS such as a windows, can't u still put it on a home made comp? i guess i shoulda done some more HW on it.

No when you buy a OS you dont have to touch the BIOS unless it is out of date. Some BIOS's need to be updated for Vista. But that is only a select few that are older.

If you buy Windows form a store you can put it on your PC. Just like you can use a Dell Windows to put it on your PC. But your serial wont activate. Even though you can call M$ and explain how your hard drive crashed and get it activated again. But that isnt the way you should do it. You should buy a new OS and install it.

You do not know what is windows OS. It really takes time to install. Don't bother about it. Windows OS is really user friendly.

I'll make it simple for you.

1. Study into which OS is right for you. Go to Windows Vista: Compare Editions to figure out which version of Vista is right for you, or go to Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu to see if Ubuntu/Linux is right for you.
(Disclaimer - There are many different distributions of Linux. Ubuntu is the one I have the most experience with. It is the most popular one, and it is easy to use.)

2. If you decide on a version of Vista, go to the store and buy the full version of whichever Vista version you want. Do not buy the upgrade.

3. If you decide that Ubuntu is what you want, download the .iso file onto a different computer and use a program like Nero or the free CDBurnerXP Pro - Reviews and free CDBurnerXP Pro downloads at Download.com to burn the .iso file to a CD.

4. Make sure your BIOS is set to be able to boot from a CD.

5. Put the Windows Vista or Ubuntu CD/DVD in the drive of your newly built computer.

6. Turn on your computer and choose to boot to the CD/DVD if it offers you that choice.

7. Follow the installation instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom