Gaming rig £650

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current rig dies horribly trying to play anything much beyond Risk ¬¬ meant to buy one last month but bills piled up (I swear they know exactly when I want something and refuse to charge me till I've saved for it) so now its not till xmas for an upgrade here.

anyway for some actual advice, seeing as you put all your prices in £ I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say your english :p if so, then ebuyer seems to be the cheapest atm (although admittedly I haven't looked at overclockers.co.uk recently) but I find Dabs.com can have better deals on graphics cards.

1 x Corsair HX Series 520W Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC 114945 £53.91 £53.91

1 x Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) Retail Boxed Processor 131950 £140.73 £140.73

1 x Coolermaster Black Centurion 534 - No PSU 114826 £39.00 £39.00

1 x Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard 131173 £62.97 £62.97

2 x Crucial 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400/800MHz CL4-4-4-12 Ballistix 2.2V SLI Ready 119273 £25.32 £50.64

1 x Seagate ST3250310AS 250GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 8MB Cache - OEM 131300 £34.95 £34.95

£461.79 / $952.09

Just gonna wait on the GT I guess :) Thanks for all the help thus far guys, appreciate muchly.

Where be you buying it from? Those look to be pretty good prices for England, I'm jealous and must know where your getting your parts from :D

Where be you buying it from? Those look to be pretty good prices for England, I'm jealous and must know where your getting your parts from :D

All ebuyer. I compared to Dabs and noticed quite a difference...

However I found dabs does have some cheap top end GFX cards. I see the GTs popping up on US sites...kinda getting the feeling of European depression and the dark feeling I'm going to be waiting a while lol.

Oh yeah was gonna ask...friend of mines saying theat the ~PSU aint packing enough punch?

I'm no pro in overclocking but he's saying I'm gonna need more towards 600w. or is he stupid? lol

All looks good. Two things you might want to be aware of:

1) the P35C-DS3R is distinct from the P35-DS3R by virtue of it supporting DDR3 memory. Usually plain model is cheaper. I would ignore the existence of DDR3 memory completely, simply because it is so expensive, and not yet very 'mature' technology, hence it will take years for it to become cheap/mainstream

2) You should try and make sure your Q6600 is a later, G0 (SLACR) model, often branded as '95W energy efficient version'. It just generally runs a lot cooler and allows much greater overclocks.

lol no he isnt stupid, if he said you'd need 800+ watts then id say yes he was stupid lol.
But anyway that one will be enough because number 1, its a good brand and reliable, and number 2 it has plenty of Amps on the 12v rail(the one that connects the graphics card), its more important to have enough Amps on the 12v rail than it is to have a million watts.
If your worried then i guess you could spend a little more and get this since your under budget Corsair HX Series 620W Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC - Ebuyer

exactly right. If you want proof, my system is very similar (see sig) and runs fine, drawing around 250W at load and under 200 idling, using the HX520. Generally, I'd add a bit to that, as it will instantaneously draw more on startup, but you can see that its more than enough. The HX520 will prolly hold up better than many 700W+ PSUs out there, simply due to its huge current capacity on the 12V rails (which power the CPU and graphics)

exactly right. If you want proof, my system is very similar (see sig) and runs fine, drawing around 250W at load and under 200 idling, using the HX520. Generally, I'd add a bit to that, as it will instantaneously draw more on startup, but you can see that its more than enough. The HX520 will prolly hold up better than many 700W+ PSUs out there, simply due to its huge current capacity on the 12V rails (which power the CPU and graphics)

Good point with the other CPU. Offering me a deal on a processor fan and some discount on the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition along with the fan. Think the cpu comes OEM without a cooler/heatsink but that's hardly expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom