Finaly got this computer down, what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take it your refering to the maximus? Its not untested, ASUS Maximus Formula SE - XtremeSystems Forums

These guys pushed this MB to the abosolute limits and it has worked magically. Yes is it a bit expensice, but a mere 30$ more then my second choice, the P5K deluxe. How do you know the BIOS is rubbish? have you tested it yet?

Btw what do you mean i need a fan for the heatsink? I thought it had one installed in it :S I am also planning on loading the case with fans, thats a given.

Well, one test on a forum is hardly comprehensive. How do you know there aren't problems that they haven't enountered? I'm not saying that I know there are problems, I am saying that it is too early for you to know that there aren't. If you look at the last page of that link you posted, you'll see that people have already found a few minor problems and things. I remember when the 680i chipset came out, everyone though it was great, before suddenly a multitude of problems arose, that are only now really fixed.

Don't forget that the X38 chipset is brand new, and there are bound to be many other X38 boards still to come that may be better or worse (especially in terms of bang-for-buck).

Sorry, I'm not sledging your choice, I'm just saying that you should make sure you've considered all the options before you spend the money (particularly for an expensive piece of Hardware)

Another thing- the Mobo has water cooling slots, are you planning on using a water cooling system?

And yes, the thermalright ultra 120 extreme needs a 120mm fan. Its a very tall cooler, so I'm not sure if you'll get it interfering with the 4 sidefans on the Coolermaster (prolly not- that case is massive), but maybe check around for people who have used this combination.

Hmm proccy *raises eybrow* But ok, your gonna get a better one.
Mobo, holy sheet dude. Seriously, you should get something cheaper. Like maybe a blitz? Idk, cheaper.
4gig of RAM is rubbish, you dont need it. Use XP and get 3 instead TBH.
For the price of a 750gig you can get 2 500s and RAID them if you wanted.

X-FI = teh sux04
8800ultra is a little overboard. You can easily OC a GTX for cheaper.

I personaly prefer my Fatal1ty keyboard over anything else.

BUT like was said, if you wanna pay ALL that much for that. GO for it, badass system.

I take it your refering to the maximus? Its not untested, ASUS Maximus Formula SE - XtremeSystems Forums

These guys pushed this MB to the abosolute limits and it has worked magically. Yes is it a bit expensice, but a mere 30$ more then my second choice, the P5K deluxe. How do you know the BIOS is rubbish? have you tested it yet?

Btw what do you mean i need a fan for the heatsink? I thought it had one installed in it :S I am also planning on loading the case with fans, thats a given.

Unless you are buying a Retail Version of the CPU, you will need a CPU Fan/Heatsink. Or you can kiss that CPU goodbye.

Prophet said:
As well, since i will be doing raid 0 with my two 250gb, would i need a floppy drive? or could i use a flash drive?
If you're using Vista, it will have the RAID drivers built into it so no need for a floppy (for my built in nvidia controller anyway. i used a 650i.). Although, floppies are still useful at times. There's really no point in not having one, since you can pick one up from a tech store for like 5 bucks like I did.

But for RAID, no, not needed anymore.

PP Mguire said:
8800ultra is a little overboard. You can easily OC a GTX for cheaper.
If he's going to OC his card, then the Ultra afaik OC's better than the GTX due different memory chips, or something of that nature.
I do agree with you, however. The Ultra is beautifully fine way to flush money down the toilet.

Well i slept on it, and have a few refinements. Going with a Q6600 instead of waiting it out for the penryns, downgrading the 750Gb to a 500gb, i actually meant to use a 500gb originally but it was late and my brain was off :S

Sticking with my MB but going with a 8800GT instead of the Ultra, gonna stick it out fot the new 9800 series.

I've looked around and cant seem to find many people who have the theremalright ultra with their Cool master case, so i might just go with the tuniq tower instead for ease.

um cant RAID drivers be stored on flash drives?
cuz most people own a flash drive if they've been in school in the past 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom