Now BSOD in Vista; Memory test errors - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengance

In Runtime
Last night I played Team Fortress 2 for the 1st time and I got the BSOD. Thinking this was a game bug, I restarted but then got it again while loading the game. The third time it blue screened loading steam. Fourth time, just in windows. Uh oh.

I eliminated my CPU over clock (my ram settings were 'auto' on my mobo) and downloaded the Microsoft memory test boot cd and it found errors - every test, every pass failed. uh oh again.

Went to bed, next morning the computer booted fine and I've been using it to post this. Is my RAM borked, could it just have been overheated? Any suggestions?

Here's my specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate, 32-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo e6420
Gigabyte P35-DS3R rev 1, f7 bios
Maxtor 160 gb & WD 250 gb HD
Crucial Ballistix 2x1gb 5-5-5-18
MSI 8600 gt silent
Ultra 500w PSU

If it found errors, I think your ram is bad...If it were me, I wouldn't use the ram if it even found just one error. Maybe you can test 1 stick of ram at a time to see which stick has errors.

This morning the memory test yield zero errors! Last night I had about 600 errors in each stick. It's running fine now...

I can only assume that the board or psu was giving some power/voltage issues, or that the sticks were overheating due to gameplay? Note: the stick's are about 1/4 inch away from the edge of the MSI heatsink on the video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom