Dual Channel RAM problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangle1257

Beta member
Im having some problems getting the Dual Channel capability to work on my computer. I recently just bought the computer and I noticed when I started up the computer it still said 'single channel'. So I read the manual and it said I needed to move over one of 512mb sticks over to the green slot. While leaving one stick in one of the purple slots. I've got the K7N2 Delta mobo.

However when I did this the computer makes a bleeping and the it doesn't start up. I tried switching the sticks and it still didn't work. When I put both sticks back in the purple slots it went back to working w/ 1gig as single channel.

Im not real knowledgeable about computers so I looking for help as to the problem. I believe both sticks are the same as they both say elixir DDR 400 pc3200. Thanks in advance for any replys. I'd really like get the dual channel working as this was one of the main reasons for purchasing this computer.

usually if want to run dual channel, the 2 sticks of rams should put on the same color Dimms.
Some mobo required u to manually set the dual channel setting in BIOS.Try check your Bios whether got this setting or not.

Not sure what the model # is since there is like 4 rows full of numbers on the side but I checked both sticks and they are the same. If its the first line than it is M2U51264DS8HB3G-5T

The manuall specifically says slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 3 for the dual channel. But when I put them in these slots it makes the beeping noise.

1st, you don't need to buy dual channel kits. You need the same brand, speed and size for it to work. Now this seems to be the case for you so I would check with the MOBO manufacturer's site. Not all MOBO will accept all RAM. You may need to upgrade your BIOS (again go to the manufacturer's site).

One more thought,

If you have moved one of the modules to the right slot to run dual channel it maybe a seating issue. If the system seen all the memory when they are installed in single channel mode and when you moved the one module to the green slot and the system beeps at you it is more then likely a seating issue or a compatiblity issue. Try to reseat the module and boot the system. Microbell is right about cheap memory and it look like Mx-Chris has been finding really good deals. Normally modules sold in kits tend to be a little higher but the prices seemed to have gone down.

I have seen ALOT of problems with cheap RAM and NVIDIA chip sets... might be whats happening here. And also you DO NOT need the kits to run dual channell, all u need is 2 sticks of the EXACT same.

i think its faster than regular ram (single channel)

its optimized for gaming and intense video editing and stuff

guess i better invest in ddr2, i'll look up some prices and see how much of a diff there is between the two.

no its not ddr2 that just supplies dual channel

ddr2 just means that it runs faster than ddr

400mhz ddr also has dual channel

you just need the mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom