Beer shortout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akubane

Fully Optimized
Yeah just what it says. This is for an onlien buddy of mine, doesn't know much about pc's. Anyway the dude spilled beer on his laptops power button and shorted the thing out. He's got a book on the hard drive hes been working on the the past 8 years or so. He does have backups but the laptop has 50 or so new pages written.

Basically wants to know if theres a way to get the data off his hard drive. Losing that much written work is a disaster. Especially for this guy XD minimal offence meant. lol teasin.

Has the beer gotten on the HDD yet? If not, you can take it out and transfer all the data into a new HDD. This is one reason why, you never want to have liquid near the computer/laptop unless it's in a bottle with a cap.

yeah no kiddin eh? He was tanked. ah well XD So you Can remove the HD from laptops to tranfer the data? I don't know anythign about laptops.. so just imagine what he knows.

Is there anythign in particular hed need to buy or could he just use cablign thats in the laptop or pc. I'll have to write a short walkthrough for him. If its complicated i'll just tell him to take it somewhere, lol. Good guy but he knows about beer, pool, and final fantasy 11. in that order. lol

ah gotcha, easy enough then. I'm pretty sure he can handle that much XD Id do it myself but im 2000 miles away lol. Big help phucng thanks.

Ya, it is simple to take the hard drive out of a lap top. Same as a desktop just smaller.

I doubt the beer effected the hard drive. He should be good to go. :)

if it's a standard laptop HDD, to get the data over to another drive he will need a converter for the smaller HDD in the laptop to the larger attachment for a standard IDE... or he can get a IDE to USB attachment (these have a powersupply atachment to them) to just connect his laptop HDD to any computer via USB.. he'll still need the converter though. usually, laptop HDD's are removeable via the bottom of the laptop... a few screws and a gentle pull out. be sure to warn him not to lose the retention insert, or the cover to the HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom