older computer - last leg- needs support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kisskerven

In Runtime
Ok I finally peeved enough to go into some detail stuff for help.

I built a computer many years ago and its having a numerous handful of problems- the biggest thing with that is - it has to last me about 6 more months before I can make a new one... sadly it's blue screen of dooming more and more....

Lately I've noticed some "choppy' lag-like feeling from just moving the mouse in normal windows xp applications... so it's getting bad.

Here is some stats
1.3 Ghz
768 mb RAM
128mb/Radeon 9000 vid card
Western Digital 7200 rpm 60gb HDD (S.m.a.r.t. fails- is sayin to replace so massive problems there- SO-:
a 13Gb HDD unknown RPM- Quantum Fireball (using it to host the OS and drivers)
I use a microsoft wireless/optical mouse that plugs in via USB and a normal Ps/2 keyboard.

If anyone can help me it'd be great- currently i have things like games(for testing and fun) on the WD and I use the Fireball to load windows XP and the graphics drivers- but I can't tell if the WD is causing blue screen or if it's something else - so I'am moving a game to the main drive and unplugging the WD to test.

The blue screen says something about ati.exe (or similar) so that would be my video driver. Yes it's up to date.

I don't know why its "lagging" while I just move the mouse.. but it's really worrying me.. its showing massive degeneration quickly.

Its late and iam tired so if i forgot something just ask and Ill get it when Iam awake again.

oh ive formatted both drives everythings backed up so no loss if it just dies.

I had just the WD it until it failed smart testing- so my friend lent me the smaller fireball one and its not really big enough for most my games so I put XP on it and was hoping to use the WD as the storage drive until i could get my new computer- but its starting to BSOD.

its like day 9 after formatting and starting to have problems again.

Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology, < there's your definition. It basically means your hardrive is F.U.B.A.R.

If windows is installed on the fireball. I would have to say it is giving you the BSOD.

I would suggest checking the temps on your graphics card also. The ati 9 series tend to overheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom