Mobo Chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
This is a really dumb question, but what are the differences between chipsets on a motherboard? I've read lots of reviews, and people recommend different chipsets, but I can't figure out what the chipset is. Is that how the motherboard is laid out, or do different companies manufacture chipsets, or what? Thanks in advance for the help.

which cpu are you going for, AMD or Intel? The best chipset out for intel is the 875P. I might be wong. and for AMD I'm not completey sure but I think it is the nForce3. The chipset sets the standards for your comp. It controls I/O, PCI, IDE, SATA and so on. It also sets the FSB, for the 875P the FSB is 800Mhz but it is also compatible with 533Mhz and 400Mhz CPU's. I hope this helped. If i am wrong please correct me.

Thanks for the help. Here's the system I was thinking of going with. What would be a reliable, cheap motherboard?

CPU- AMD Athlon XP 2500+
RAM- 512 MB Kingston PC 3200
Hard Drive- Western Digital 80 GB IDE
Video Card- nVidia GeForce FX 5200
Optical Drive- Sony CD Burner 52x32x52
Case- Antec 350W

A mobo is build around a chipset. So the chipset is the main deciding factor regarding features,performance,compatability etc.
mobo-- Asus A7V8X is real cheap.

Thanks for the help. I looked up the A7V8X on newegg, and here's what I found. Which one of these should I get? This computer will be used for the internet, word processing, and very occasional gaming. I won't be overclocking or anything like that. I'd like to get the cheapest one that would do my normal functions well.

A7V8X-MX SE KM400 Chipset- $59
A7V8X-X KT400 Chipset- $60
A7V8X-X nForce2 400 Chipset- $71
A7V8X nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset- $84
A7V8X-VM/400 nForce2 IGP Chipset- $84
A7V8X-E Deluxe nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset- $99

Motherboards are so confusing!!!! :)

the A7V8X-X KT400 Chipset- $60 would be great for you because you probably don't need anything special.

The $50 one has onboard video which just interferes and causes problems if you're going to have your own card.

But I wouldn't go with any of the VIA chipsets because the nForce2 is supposed to have kick @$$ sound.

I would go with the A7V8X-X nForce2 400 Chipset- $71 found here: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-131-468&depa=1

But Also you don't need the PC3200 RAM because when you use it with the 333Mhz FSB the memory will also run at 333Mhz. The only reason you would use PC3200 RAM with 333Mhz FSB is to overclock it, which I don't think you will be doing?

Yes, that's right, I will not be overclocking. That being the case, should I save a little money and get PC 2700?

Yes!! definitely.

This is way off topic but..... I noticed your name PizzatheHut06 and remembered the movie Space Balls. Are you a fan?

Oh man yes. That's where the name came from. It's my favorite movie, and I've seen it probably 40-50 times, but I still laugh riotously every time. You can't beat Mel Brooks :)

lol that's where the name is from! i was like, i've heard that name before...i see your sharwatz is as big as mine...lol. anyways, whey do mother boards have big price ranges. what makes one chip set more special then they other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom