Win XP sound problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileii

Baseband Member
I have posted this before and got no help so now i turn to this forum as my problem could have something to do with a windows update.

I have had this pc for around 2 years or more now and NEVER had a sound problem with it and, about 2 months ago i started getting a sound problem in a game (CoDUO) and then it moved onto another game (CoD2) and then last but not least the last of the 3 games i only play (WoW).

So heres what happens; i open the game and my sound is good and about 5-10mins later the sound starts to get really fuzzy and just shut off everything with any sound on my pc and my mic also stops working, in order to get this sound and mic back working i have to fully restart my pc which is very annoying.

Can anyone help me may it be a windows problem or not ?

PS : when i quit the game i go to Master sound and Mute and Unmute it and the sound works once im not in a game but my mic remains off, is there anyway to start up or mute and unmute my mic like i do with my sound just so it will save me the time in restarting my pc -.- NOTE : in Master Volume muting and unmuting my mic dosent seem to help it. By the way i dont have a sound card.

PLEASE HELP!

SMiLEii

can you not try and borrow a sound card off someone just to see if its your onboard sound at fault? if not maybe buy a cheap soundcard because it does sound to me like its a hardware fault.
I dont think you'd experience such issues for any other reason really

Oh yeah have you gone into Dxdiag and had a look at the sound tab? it tells you if theres any problems with your sound.
Start bar>run>then type in "Dxdiag" and hit enter then wait for about 10seconds for it to gather the info then click on the sound tab and see what it says(before and after you start getting fuzzy sound)

In dxdiag it says the same info both before and after. Anything else i can try ? i not using a sound card but the name of what ever i have it a :

Device : Vinyl AC'97 Audio

Drivers : vinyl.sys

I have not found driver updates, or is there such thing for this Audio ?

Do you know if you have onboard or a sound card? Onboard means that the plugs do directly into the bother board and not into a 3rd party card. If so then i would say it is time you have to spend some $$. Cause the sound is dying and fast. Need to buy a new sound card before you haev no sound. This happened to me just last year.

Makaveli213 he/she says that they dont have a sound card.

you can pick up a half decent card really cheap now anyway, id just get one of those and then disable on board sound in bios and then enjoy your sound agian hopefully

Ya looks like i shall get a new sound card and i was thinking why get a cheap one when it could have problems so how much would a new X-Fi set me back ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom