Pentium D vs C2D & AMD X2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brinson

Daemon Poster
As some of you know, my pc recently caught on fire. :D

I've managed to salvage and test: 2x1gb DDR1, both my hard drives, my optical drives, and all my pci/agp cards.

I can't test my cpu to see if it works or not because i don't have another one.

What happened was part of the motherboard seems to have just caught on fire. Now if this was power related it could have fried my cpu, possibly ( I don't really know, but I think its possible).

I also bought a new case because that one is a piece of crap.

I have $110. I can just buy a 478 and hope my cpu is good or I can save a little more and just upgrade my cpu/mb to a lower end X2 or a Pentium D.

Problem is that I don't think any of the X2 motherboards accept DDR1 ram, which means I have to also buy a new ram, which adds to the amount I have to save.

I've seen some Pentium D motherboard/cpu combos for around $100 that take DDR1, does anyone know how they compare to like a 3600 Brisbane?

Or any other suggestions?

The reason that the X2s wont go with DDR is that the onboard memory controller isnt designed for it.

Pentium Ds would be HORRIBLE with DDR, as the only good thing about Pentium Ds is their clockspeed. DDR had a horrible clockspeed, and would be extremely poor at feeding all of the information to the processor.

Either go X2 or C2D with totally nre RAM, MOBO and Processor.

Bleh, this annoys me. I wish AM2 mobos would support DDR1 so that I could wait to upgrade.

So, its either.

1. Buy socket 478 mobo and hope my cpu is good.
2. Buy a pentium D mobo/cpu and wait to upgrade my ram.
3. Save my money and wait til I can get an X2/Mobo/DDR2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom