Can I use my Compaq Presario Case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmull

Solid State Member
Hey guys... First I will go ahead and tell you, I have never built a pc or did any kind of major upgrades to one.

MOst I have done is add memory, pci cards, wipe hard drives & re-install OS.

Although I beleive that within time of reading and getting advice from you guys here at Tech-Forums, I will be alot better knowledgable is the 'build a pc' world.... LOL

Ok. I currently have a Compaq Presario S4200NX.
I would like to actually build a new PC with lots of speed. I would be purchasing new motherboard, processor, memory, & fans.... would like to keep my DVD burner and CD Burner that I have. As they both work great for me.

My question is -----> Which type of MotherBoard will I have to purchase? Micro-ATX or just ATX style MotherBoard?
Or will I have to buy and new case?

Can I switch to 775 socket?

Thanks in advance.

BMuLL

Looking at the case, it looks like a MicroATX, but cooling for more advanced parts needs better case which can have more space in it for cooling options.

I can't be sure is a MicroATX, install everest home and use that, that will tell you what its got in it already.

In my opinion it would be better to get a new case, as you will need a new powersupply anyway.

Yeah. Since you are replacing the guts which would include the power supply, you would do best to get a new case. Don't get one that comes with a power supply unless it comes from a company that makes good power supplies. Since you haven't learned them yet, just go with one that doesn't have one.

The main thing is that you like the way it looks and that it has the features you need. List us your budget and what you are looking for and we'll suggest a truckload for you.

Thanks for the advice guys.....As for my budget, I am thinking of 500.00. As I will be using my DVD & CD Burners, Floppy Drive & would like to be able to keep my Hard Drive as well.. Its 120 GIG , plus I have an external harddrive thats practically new. Its 160 GIG, thats what I use for most of my storage anyways... I am not concerned with those SATA Hard Drives.

Mainly wanna try & build me a computer, but I want it to be much much faster than what I have now. I am even fine with the video (VGA) & sound being built into the motherboard.
Would like something with Max 4GIG of RAM but will install 2GIG for now. Just wanna be able to upgrade memory later.

But you guys know much more about it than I do, thats why I'm asking for your help.... If you think I could accomplish what I want for less, please lead me in the right direction. Fund are tight right now. But if you think its not gonna be enough funds, please let me know & still lead me in the right direction.

I am leaving my new PC in you guys' hands...... LOL

Thanks In Advance,

BMuLL

What do you guys think about the case below?

Code:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

I am not interested in Flashy stuff. I am more concerned with performance & speed.

Thanks In Advance,

BMuLL

Thanks for the suggestions. But I think I would rather stick with intel. Just because I am more familiar.

As far as Operating System, I do not want that to be included in my cost of the system... I will pay extra for that..... My 500 was just for all hardware needed, OS will be seperate cost.

Do you have any suggestions with Intel compatible hardware?

Thanks In Advance,

BMuLL

wait....... before I stay stuck on Intel products. Is there a big difference in what hardware, etc. will work with AMD products?

Also would this be a much faster system than what I could get, for the same price with Intel supported products?

Just thinking.... Maybe I should be more open minded & not be soo scared of learning about something new / different.

Thanks again for your help.

BMuLL

just replace the CPU and Mobo with an e2140 and an Abit Ip35-e...

you can go the intel route... but its gonna cost more..

From reviewing the 2 differ hardwares (AMD & Intel ), it looks like to me, the AMD has alot more potential of being a much faster machine than with using the intel supported hardware.

am I right or wrong?

And I would say for $317.00 I could get use to the AMD stuff...... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom