Q4 2008: New sockets, chipsets and architecture en route from Intel before 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
exactly, its retarded to wait a year for something as small as a chipset. Would never get a comp built, by the time the chipset is out that you want, a new one will be out the following month....oh got to wait for that one now....

I think I'm going to have this problem...

I planned to build a PC this month, but due to unforeseen events in life, I've been forced to postpone my building to about April of next year...

... though... with such a drastic change in Intel's design, I think I'd want to wait until the end of next year to build one.

Right now my computer is 3.5 years old, I could probably stretch it to the end of next year... but would it be worth it?

I'm not sure I want to use technology that will be forgotten at the end of next year. I was really just assuming that they would continue using the 775 socket... but now that I know they already have a date to replace it... I don't know what to do.

I hate this...

I think I'm going to have this problem...

I planned to build a PC this month, but due to unforeseen events in life, I've been forced to postpone my building to about April of next year...

... though... with such a drastic change in Intel's design, I think I'd want to wait until the end of next year to build one.

Right now my computer is 3.5 years old, I could probably stretch it to the end of next year... but would it be worth it?

I'm not sure I want to use technology that will be forgotten at the end of next year. I was really just assuming that they would continue using the 775 socket... but now that I know they already have a date to replace it... I don't know what to do.

I hate this...

depending on what your current rig is, you could just buy something as simple as a new video card to stretch out its lifespan till you wanna build your new comp. Btw i was just being sarcastic in my post, planning on building this month WITH a x38 MB. But if these 8800GT's are any good i might consider SLI for a mere 400$.... cheaper then the ultra i was planning on getting.

depending on what your current rig is, you could just buy something as simple as a new video card to stretch out its lifespan till you wanna build your new comp. Btw i was just being sarcastic in my post, planning on building this month WITH a x38 MB. But if these 8800GT's are any good i might consider SLI for a mere 400$.... cheaper then the ultra i was planning on getting.

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Socket 478
Northbridge Intel i875P rev. A2
AGP GeForce 6200
1024 MB PC3200 DDR400 RAM

I don't know if I want to spend money on my current machine... It's just not that great, and I plan on turning it into a linux only machine (no gaming) after I build a new one...

I do have a question though... why is Intel ahead of AMD? Sounds like Intel is stealing AMD's ideas... but if AMD has the better layout, then why isn't AMD kicking ***? Will Intel really be better off after it changes to the AMD style of doing things?

He didn't contradict himself. He said theres no point to waiting a year for chipset since it won't give a huge boost by itself. When he was talking about the current chipsets he said they were fine to use because they work and are stable.

If your okay with waiting a year for computer parts you will never build your system. Its going to be awesome but new stuff comes out alllllllll the time.
Are you going to say that all the people that buy in a year wasted their money because a year later a new chipset is coming out?

u got exacly what i said, im glad some one gets me lol, id gladly buy an x38 now then wait a year for something else.

and every year something new comes out and the new gets old, build now, and youl be fine, as in a year when u build itl be forgoten again in a year when the new tech comes out.

thats why its usually smart to skip a generation, i skiped x2 so il probably go with a phenom, or buy the amd 5000=x2 to hold me off, anyway ive had my rig for two years and its done me well, i was glad to see its lastiung this long, and is still capable of max gfx on some games beign released like ut3 for example, just build now or youl never stop waiting.

Ya thats why nehalem is going to force me to upgrade. They are finally going back to onboard memory controllers. I'm going to hold off until the 32nm die shrink though as i highly doubt the performance gain of nehalem at 45nm will be enough to make me rebuild a 1 year old quadcore machine.

I'm personally waiting for the 1nm die, that thing is going to flat out own anything we can even imagine...and its only like...10 or so years away, well worth the wait imho

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz
Socket 478
Northbridge Intel i875P rev. A2
AGP GeForce 6200
1024 MB PC3200 DDR400 RAM

I don't know if I want to spend money on my current machine... It's just not that great, and I plan on turning it into a linux only machine (no gaming) after I build a new one...

I do have a question though... why is Intel ahead of AMD? Sounds like Intel is stealing AMD's ideas... but if AMD has the better layout, then why isn't AMD kicking ***? Will Intel really be better off after it changes to the AMD style of doing things?

Yeah you pretty much have the same setup as me. If it were me i would just continue with your plan on building a new comp next april. but you can ask around on these forums for cheap upgrades. These guys are great for finding cheap, effective upgrades for ya

seems like intel are copying amd, hopefully this will make the intels even better tho. i also cant wait to see how the phenoms perform.

He didn't contradict himself. He said theres no point to waiting a year for chipset since it won't give a huge boost by itself. When he was talking about the current chipsets he said they were fine to use because they work and are stable.

If your okay with waiting a year for computer parts you will never build your system. Its going to be awesome but new stuff comes out alllllllll the time.
Are you going to say that all the people that buy in a year wasted their money because a year later a new chipset is coming out?

But what I'm saying is, it's not everyday they come out with new socket designs. My point was, the x38 supports 775, not the upcoming socket. So, if you spend upwards of 280.00 on the x38 now, it won't even be compatible with nehalem, so why spend the money? I think that the current Core 2 Duos/Quads are just fine, and I wouldn't upgrade to an x38 chipset and Penryn today, instead of nehalem tomorrow, because the new socket will almost certainly have you set for quite a few years, which would be perfect if you aren't the person who always just so happens to have 500.00 dollars to blow every time something new comes out.

I wouldn't upgrade to x38 but if I was building a high end pc right now I would consider it. Well actually "I" probably wouldn't because I'm cheap, but people that usually buy the expensive stuff either don't upgrade for a long time or buy stuff all the time anyways.

I know what your saying, I'm just saying that if I for some reason I bought a x38 wouldn't regret buying it because of a new chipset that isn't coming for a year. Now if it was coming out next month then I might. But those new mobos might cost a ton since x38 is expensive and these new boards probably have a lot more R&D than a x38. R&D=$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom