Need some experienced eyes for this build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jermanfu

Baseband Member
I'm looking at building a PC pretty soon. From reading through these boards I've gotten some good ideas on components. Before I rush out and buy however, I'd like some opinions on a couple of things.

1) Is everything below compatible.
2) is everything below reliable.

Also, if there is an upgrade you guys think I could make and keep my price around the same (about $1900 USD) please feel free to do so. And if there is an option I can go with that will save me money without lowering performance, that is welcome as well. This will be strictly a gaming rig.

Case:
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Mobo:
Newegg.com - ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Video:
Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXOCE GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

PSU:
Newegg.com - OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V - Retail

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

RAM:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

HD:
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Monitor:
Newegg.com - CHIMEI CMV 221D-NBC Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 330 cd/m2 800:1 - Retail

Optical:
Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache E-IDE/ATAPI DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology - OEM

Cooling:
Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler - Retail

Looks good but why are you getting an SLi mobo with only one card? You should probably just get two 8800GT's if you want SLi when they are released here in a few days. Personally I think SLi anything is a waste of money though. Why not just buy the BEST instead of 2 lesser cards.

thanks for the reply Dave. And that's why I am asking. If there is a Motherboard that you would suggest that would work well with my setup, I am open to suggestions.

To be honest, I didn't even notice that it was an SLI board. I probably won't go with a second card, so if there is a Mobo that would work better, please suggest away :D

I think I saw someone say that the OCZ GameXStream's weren't good power supplies... might want to look into that.

Any P35 motherboard would be good. If you don't plan on SLi than I would suggest the Gigabyte P35 DS3L. It is a good overclocking board and is one of the cheapest out.
The power supply is fine. There is nothing wrong with the Gamestreams.

yeah like dave said the p35 is a great chipset.
dont bother with 680i they are not too good for overclocking quads, i no from expierence. Get a nice ds3r or p5k or even abit ip35 which also is good.

Those psu's are ok but 700w is a lil overkill maybe go for a corsair 520HX which would be fine for ur system or even a xclio 600w i heard they are good too. otherwise that psu will be fine.

Asus boards have been nothing but trouble for me, personally. Any p35 should do, though. My room mate's been loving them lately.

The psu is a bit much, I think, but there's nothing wrong with that, I suppose. It looks like a quality piece of hardware, anyway. Do you really need FOUR 12v rails, though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom