Q4 2008: New sockets, chipsets and architecture en route from Intel before 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitersety

Daemon Poster
From DailyTech - Intel Slates "Nehalem" for Q4 2008

Tick-tock is alive and well as Intel's corporate roadmap reveals additional details about its desktop iteration of 45nm quad-core Nehalem, dubbed Bloomfield.

Nehalem will be fundamentally different from the Core architecture for no less than two reasons. The company will move the memory controller from the core logic on the motherboard to the processor die. This tactic has been a cornerstone for the AMD K8 architecture since 2003.

In addition, Nehalem will also feature a new bus interconnect, currently dubbed Quick Path Interconnect. This new interconnect behaves very similar to HyperTransport, currently used on all AMD platforms since K8.

A new bus and memory controller means a new socket design. Existing motherboards are not compatible with Nehalem-based processors. The new desktop socket, labeled LGA1366, will completely replace the existing LGA775 interconnect.

The company will replace the X38 and yet to be announced X48 desktop chipsets with the Tylersburg chipset family and ICH10 southbridge for these first LGA1366 motherboards.

So I hope none of you have bought an X38-based mobo yet, because you've wasted your money....

Wow, new socket, new achitechture, Hyperthreading, and solely DDR3 support in just a year for Intel's new procs. This is going to be quite a costly upgrade...

Ya thats why nehalem is going to force me to upgrade. They are finally going back to onboard memory controllers. I'm going to hold off until the 32nm die shrink though as i highly doubt the performance gain of nehalem at 45nm will be enough to make me rebuild a 1 year old quadcore machine.

ahh u beat me to it Blitersety :).

as for Nehalem, this is gonna be a true competitor to the Phenom. To me, the Penyrn is just an die shrink of the Q6600 clocked at a higher speed n more cache.

Nehalem will have the memory controller on the CPU now, which AMD has had since K8 architecture aka HyperTransport, plus a 45nm die shrink which will have better cooling n less heat. Perfect for OCing!!

From DailyTech - Intel Slates "Nehalem" for Q4 2008

So I hope none of you have bought an X38-based mobo yet, because you've wasted your money....

Wow, new socket, new achitechture, Hyperthreading, and solely DDR3 support in just a year for Intel's new procs. This is going to be quite a costly upgrade...

Why do you say that? these processors are more then a year away. Doesnt matter what MB you use now, if you plan on upgrading to a nahelem in the furture, you will need a new MB . I personally am looking into getting a x38 maximus formula. It isnt much more the p5k deluxe which i planned on getting. If the nahelems are gonna be worth this hvpe, then i will upgrade, if not i think my penryn's will do me just fine :)

haven't we've all been saying that the x38 isnt in it maximum potential before?

Ya thats why nehalem is going to force me to upgrade. They are finally going back to onboard memory controllers. I'm going to hold off until the 32nm die shrink though as i highly doubt the performance gain of nehalem at 45nm will be enough to make me rebuild a 1 year old quadcore machine.

It makes me wonder how small can the die shrink to. I watched a video that says that it will be so small, the electrons will start to jump its rails.

how is it a waste of money to get it now, you have to be retarded to wait a year to get a new chipset, like i consider the chipset the least important part of my computer literally, if you think about you core parts, it is the least important, it just needs to be stable really, which we alll know the 570,590.650,p35,and x38 are(notice i didnt say 680i) so really, your rig will perform just abotu aswell, in gaming with any of these,id wait for a new proc, or mayeb a video card biut even then a year is a very long time, i wouldnt wait for a chipset, but i would wait for new features on a mobo, liek am2 plus.

how is it a waste of money to get it now, you have to be retarded to wait a year to get a new chipset, like i consider the chipset the least important part of my computer literally, if you think about you core parts, it is the least important, it just needs to be stable really, which we alll know the 570,590.650,p35,and x38 are(notice i didnt say 680i) so really, your rig will perform just abotu aswell, in gaming with any of these,id wait for a new proc, or mayeb a video card biut even then a year is a very long time, i wouldnt wait for a chipset, but i would wait for new features on a mobo, liek am2 plus.

Excuse me, what? You're contradicting yourself. First you say that you would have to be retarded to wait for a new chipset, but then you say that it's the least important part of the computer. Well, if its the least important part, then why would it be so bad as to wait a year before getting a new one? You further contradict yourself by stating that all the current ones (minus 680i) are perfectly stable, indicating that nothings wrong with waiting.

I said it would be a waste of money to buy the x38-based motherboards right now, because they are anywhere from 280.00 to 350.00 right now on newegg. Why waste that kind of money on a board that won't even be compatible with Nehalem, an architechture that will be much more of an upgrade than Penryn could ever hope to be?

In waiting for the new chipset, you are also waiting for the new line of CPU's, and the official rollout of DDR 3 RAM, which will doubtless have a reasonable price by then. Now you tell me what is retarded about that.

exactly, its retarded to wait a year for something as small as a chipset. Would never get a comp built, by the time the chipset is out that you want, a new one will be out the following month....oh got to wait for that one now....

He didn't contradict himself. He said theres no point to waiting a year for chipset since it won't give a huge boost by itself. When he was talking about the current chipsets he said they were fine to use because they work and are stable.

If your okay with waiting a year for computer parts you will never build your system. Its going to be awesome but new stuff comes out alllllllll the time.
Are you going to say that all the people that buy in a year wasted their money because a year later a new chipset is coming out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom