Computer took a dump. so probably gonna get a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBerger

Baseband Member
Ok well my comp in my sig has died i think and i'm thinking about taking the oppurtunity to get a new one. I play some games like cs 1.6 and maybe the new cod when that comes out but definately not as much as i used to, its more just for everything, gaming/videos/etc.

i want to try to keep the budget down since i didnt really plan on my copmuter dying but heres what i have so far. Feel free to make suggestions in the same general price range. I havent really done any research on the new hardware since i built my last computer in my sig so i'm a bit out of it. thanks

Proc - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Mobo - MSI P35 Platinum
Newegg.com - MSI P35 Platinum LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Videocard - I was gonna go with eVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB
Newegg.com - EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

but everything i've been reading is saying wait for the 8800 gt since it'll be equal or better performance for cheaper.

Ram- I also have a question here. theres this Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

and this

Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

which to me seem very similar but one is 55 dollars after a rebate and the other 105. is the performance gain worth the price?

Power supply - Corsair 520w
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

case - cooler master
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

I just bought a new hd for my computer thinking it would fix the problem so i'm gonna use that in this new build (seagate 250 gb) as well as use my old cd drive and sound card.

so thats my plan. anyone with better understanding of the hardware industry go ahead and substitute wherever necessary.

thanks for reading!

Thats a very solid build. I recommend the Centurion 690 as it has better cooling. The 2900OPRO if you can find one can be easily flashed to an XT making it a better value than the 8800GTS.

Go with the DDR2-800 ram as if you will look at the timings of them both, all they did was loosen the timings at 800 speed from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-15 at 1066 speeds. They are the same exact modules just factory clocked different.

A Corsair 550VX would be plenty enough power if you can find one cheap.

Thats a very solid build. I recommend the Centurion 690 as it has better cooling. The 2900OPRO if you can find one can be easily flashed to an XT making it a better value than the 8800GTS.

Go with the DDR2-800 ram as if you will look at the timings of them both, all they did was loosen the timings at 800 speed from 4-4-4-12 to 5-5-5-15 at 1066 speeds. They are the same exact modules just factory clocked different.

A Corsair 550VX would be plenty enough power if you can find one cheap.

agreed man... but finding a hd2900pro anywhere is ****-near impossible... its out of stock...

Wait for the release of RV670. Get another case either Antec 900, Antec P180 or whatever you like. You could get another Seagate 250 and get RAID0 if you want the performance boost.

Congrats on P35 Platinum its an excellent choice.

Yea i was reading that too but i'm not that knowledgeable on how to overclock and stuff so you think i should just wait for the 8800gt instead of the gts? and im gonna go for the cheaper ram. but everything else (proc mobo etc) looks good you think. thanks for the input

Also if you are planning to get a dual core, just pick up a 2180 instead. Or if you can afford it, get a q6600 and a good cooler.

The 8800GT comes out next week...trust me that's the card you want. I'm willing to be it will be the king bang/buck card for some time. Unless ATI radically changes their card design with the RV670

Yes but it is worth holding out for RV670. Just to see if its a more viable option. The two weeks of having to do without a PC are more that worth it IMO. OP could use that time to read up on overclocking :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom