Xp/ Linux multi boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancec2c30

Future ex-member
I just installed Ubuntu 7.10 on a separate hard drive. I have XP on my main drive. I can't figure out how to get a boot menu of some sort for these two operating systems when they are on separate drives. I can change the hard drive boot priorty in the BIOS, but that takes a lot of effort... What else can I do?

Try doing that from Computer Properties --> Advanced --> Starup and recovery. Anyway I have vista installed and Have 2 virual machines for xp and ubuntu, that is a lot better.

I assume that is in Vista... because of the means of getting there. I currently don't have my copy of vista installed...

So your looking to get to the boot screen between both your hard drives while there on seperate hard drives?

Don't get me wrong, I'am pretty sure that you can 'select' either ubuntu or xp in the boot up process, but, I might be wrong. My experiance with dual booting is the bootscreen it'self and both operating systems being on the same hard drive. You can split things accordingly between them(but this would be to much work, you would realistically create a partition for linux on your second drive and run windows and ubuntu on one drive) and access them differently, hm, I don't know, usually having the different OS on seperate disk can run into problems because of your primary hard drive booting first.
-Update-
setting up a dual boot on separate hard drives - TechSpot OpenBoards

I looked around on the details of what you want to do, you basically have to edit your bootini file to give you some time to choose how/which os you want to start from, I would suggest looking into your boot ini, probably pasting it so some of us can take a look.

You will need to use GRUB. There is no way for the boot.ini for XP to recognize Linux.

I can go into my BIOS and change hard drive boot priority . I just wasn't sure if you could set up GRUB to work with Linux and XP on different drives...

It isn't a huge deal though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom