Power problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VistaIsPunishment

Beta member
Hi guys/gals those more knowledgeable then I.

Guess what I am NOOB and need help. I'm sure you are not use to this. :eek:

Well I have an acer AST180-UD400B that has been a great computer until recently when one night i shut it down and it wouldn't turn on the next morning.

I had a buddy of mine test the power supply and it was found to be bad.
To my surprise acer was more then happy to send me a new one at no charge. So i went to install it today and the same thing happened. Just wont turn on.

What i have noticed is that if i don't plug in the 4 wire connector {2 Yellow wires with black stripes 2 Solid black wires} to the left of the cpu/processor the unit will power up, the dvd rom kicks in and it triggers the fans but the video doesn't kick on.

So now finally then question.
Whats broke?
Should i shoot it?
Do i now own a 20lb paper weight?

Without the 12v cpu feed the system won't boot. But the description may not be a bad supply but a need to only lightly replug the four wire molex back in until the retaining clip clicks inplace. Sometimes you'll find a loose contact in the plug on some supplies. Try that before assuming a board fault.

Without the 12v cpu feed the system won't boot. But the description may not be a bad supply but a need to only lightly replug the four wire molex back in until the retaining clip clicks inplace. Sometimes you'll find a loose contact in the plug on some supplies. Try that before assuming a board fault.

Yea i went threw every wire one by one to make sure all were making proper contact. I am assuming you are telling me the 4 wire plug to the left of the processor are the power/ground feed for the CPU.

I have already replaced the power supply and i am having the exact same issue.
As long as the 4 wire plug is installed the system does nothing.

When the first supply went it may have done something to the board as well. The a cap in the supply could have seen a direct short to ground or send a good surge into the board to see something there damagied.

A cap on the board could have also simply went on you. One thing to try there is a good visual imspection of the board itself to see any discoloration or bulged out leaking caps are found. That would verify a board problem. Get in there with a small flash light and even a pocket magnifier to have a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom