Help With CPU upgrade please

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAC34

Baseband Member
I currently have a 2.66 GHz Celeron D processor, I have a 775LGA Socket, 90nm technology.

I would like to know how powerful of a processor i can upgrade to.

Motherboard info
Manufacture: Intel Corporation
Model: D915GVSE3 AAD16711-104

Case and cooling
I have a 6 Bay Micro BTX (uBTX) mid-tower case
I have a 120mm variable speed fan in the front that has a shroud on it that fits over my processors heat sink, it draws cool air from outside the case in through the front.

It has a 95mm variable speed fan in the rear that vents the warm air in the case out.

It has a 305 watt dual voltage (110/220) power supply.

I am planning also on putting 4gb RAM in it.

I just don't know what is the largest processor i can upgrade to, if i will need better cooling, and if i will need a bigger power supply. Any suggestions?

Hey CAC34
Welcome-to-TF.png

I believe that motherboard chipset, only supports Pentium 4 and Celeron D. So you're very limited. And you wouldn't see a significant increase in performance, even if you upgrade. You should upgrade the motherboard, if you want to see a good improvement.

Why are you putting 4GB of RAM? Are you planning on heavy video/photo editing, or graphic design? If not, 4GB is highly unnecessary.

What is the main purpose of this computer?

Hey CAC34
Welcome-to-TF.png

I believe that motherboard chipset, only supports Pentium 4 and Celeron D. So you're very limited. And you wouldn't see a significant increase in performance, even if you upgrade. You should upgrade the motherboard, if you want to see a good improvement.

Why are you putting 4GB of RAM? Are you planning on heavy video/photo editing, or graphic design? If not, 4GB is highly unnecessary.

What is the main purpose of this computer?

Thanks for the welcome, If that is the case maybe i will just keep my current processor and upgrade the RAM, I dont do video editing or gaming with this system. I simply surf the web, use microsoft works from time to time to do typing and real basic stuff, I watch videos on youtube and sites like that and I have netflix so i watch some of there movies online. Maybe i will just do a RAM upgrade I currently have 512 mb RAm how much do you recomend. I know my system will support up to 4 gb.

4GB is way overkill for internet surfing, or general use. The only reason to go 4GB, is the reason, I mentioned earlier, about the editing.

Just get another stick of 512MB, and you'll be running very smoothly. Would you happen to know the speed of your memory? I can suggest one that will fit right in with your current, if I know the speed. It should be DDR or DDR2 memory.

4GB is way overkill for internet surfing, or general use. The only reason to go 4GB, is the reason, I mentioned earlier, about the editing.

Just get another stick of 512MB, and you'll be running very smoothly. Would you happen to know the speed of your memory? I can suggest one that will fit right in with your current, if I know the speed. It should be DDR memory.

DDR 2 is the speed,Also my ram is Hynix and i had some people tell me thats not very good ram. Maybe a gig of another brand will do me? Will adding more ram cause my computer to run hotter? I wondered about the cooling but i do have pretty big variable speed fans in this Gateway.

DDR 2 is the speed,Also my ram is Hynix and i had some people tell me thats not very good ram. Maybe a gig of another brand will do me?

DDR2 is the type. Not the speed. There should be a number proceeding it. And you can check, by using CPU-Z, and going to the memory tab. Post back a screenshot or post what the frequency is...

About the RAM being bad, if it's still working, there is no reason to let it go to waste. Although a 1GB stick is not expensive these days.

DDR2 is the type. Not the speed. There should be a number proceeding it. And you can check, by using CPU-Z, and going to the memory tab. Post back a screenshot or post what the frequency is...

About the RAM being bad, if it's still working, there is no reason to let it go to waste. Although a 1GB stick is not expensive these days.

Here is the RAM specs

Type DDR2
Size: 512 mb
Channels: Dual
Frequency: 200MHz
FSB: DRAM 2:3
CAS# Latency (tCL) 4.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 4 Clocks

The ram I have is still working, I have just had a lot of people say that hynix is not a good brand name and has the tendancy to have hick ups so to speak. I don't know how true that really is though. I don't think i have had any problems related to ram with this system though.

I do want to make sure though that i have a good brand name to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom