4gb of ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

david15549

Baseband Member
Hi

I am thinking of getting 4gb of ram becasue each slot needs to have the same amount of ram in, but i know the OS will only show 3gb of available ram. If i install 4gb will it harm my computer. In the asus guide it says that they recommend that i install less than 3gb of total memory. Is this to avoid damaging my computer, or just advising that it is pointless ( ie waste of money)

Dave

neither... i don't know why they recommend that... but 2gb is more than enough.... but u need a 64bit OS to recognize 4gb or more.....

That's not correct, that you would need to fill each slot with the same amount of RAM, or have a stick in each slot.

The OS only recognizing 3GB of RAM, is a limitation of 32-bit software. It simply won't be seen, so it won't damage your computer in any way.

The ASUS guide probably said that, if you're using a 32-bit OS, because 32-bit cannot handle more than that.

All those aside, why are you wanting to put 4GB of memory into your computer? Is it just because you need to have a stick in each slot? Are you into heavy video/photo editing? If not, 4GB is not needed. What is the purpose of your system?

i know i don't need a stick in each slot, and i'm not going to get 4gb of ram because 2gb is more than enough. I actually know someone who has 4gb of ram and vista 32 bit, so I suppose I wondered whether it would damage their system.

Oh, because you said it in first person. So I assumed it was you. But no, there would be no damage at all. It just won't be seen.

i know i don't need a stick in each slot, and i'm not going to get 4gb of ram because 2gb is more than enough. I actually know someone who has 4gb of ram and vista 32 bit, so I suppose I wondered whether it would damage their system.

it won't damage your system... i can promise that.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom